LGBT Parenting
Options

prospective gay known donor looking for advice

Hello. I am a San Francisco gay man who has been a ?big brother?/primary male mentor to a (lesbian-raised) boy, for the past 14 years, who will soon leave CA for college. So, now I am looking to be a known sperm donor for a lesbian or lesbian couple who wants their child to have an ongoing relationship with the male donor.

I have two questions for this LGBT Parenting forum: 1. Any suggestions on ways to meet a lesbian or lesbian couple in the San Francisco Bay area who is seeking a known donor?  2. While I've read everything I can on being a known donor, any first-hand practical advice for me?

Lastly, I am really in awe of the LGBT parents posting here. Yes, love and family are worth fighting for!

all the best, Joe               for more about me: https://bit.ly/W8QNC

Re: prospective gay known donor looking for advice

• Options

Hi Joe - welcome to the boards!

I think you're giving an amazing gift and hope you find just the right individual/couple to work with.

Maia Midwifery is well know within the lesbian world.  I would highly suggest calling them as I'm sure that if they can't work with you they will know who will.  https://www.maiamidwifery.com/index.htm

You might also want to try Pacific Reproductive Services.  It's right in SF and focuses mostly on lesbians looking to conceive. https://www.pacrepro.com/index.php

I hope this helps get you started.  Please stick around the boards and post anytime you'd like!

:-) J

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Welcome to the board!

There is a CA sperm bank that's listed in the back of my lesbian baby-making books that specializes in gay donors.  They are a unique bank because they give the parents the identity of the donor when the baby is 3 months old, and they host yearly (I think) events for the families that use the bank.  I want to say the name of the bank is Rainbow Families or something like that - I can check when I get home.

I also second Two's suggestion of contacting Maia - they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrs._F:

Welcome to the board!

There is a CA sperm bank that's listed in the back of my lesbian baby-making books that specializes in gay donors.  They are a unique bank because they give the parents the identity of the donor when the baby is 3 months old, and they host yearly (I think) events for the families that use the bank.  I want to say the name of the bank is Rainbow Families or something like that - I can check when I get home.

I also second Two's suggestion of contacting Maia - they should be able to point you in the right direction.

It's Rainbow Flag Health Services located in Alameda. https://www.gayspermbank.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Two True,

thx for the encouragement.  it makes a big difference. i emailed Maia and sent them a link to my known donor ad...but you got me thinking, i should  drop their offices, introduce myself and let them meet me and get to know me.

i had my male fertility testing at PRS but they don't do any matching or introductions of known donors with moms.  While they are good folks, they prefer to use anonymous donors over known one. 

If you know of any SF bay area lesbian moms/couples who are looking for a known donor, please send them my way.

best,

Joe

• Options

Mrs. _F,

thanks for the information.  I do know about the Rainbow Sperm Bank in Alameda headed by the legendary Leland.  Unfortunately, Rainbow isn't matching up known donors with mothers anymore.  Not sure why, but I do know that they will continue to provide insemination services. Which leads me back to square one: patiently finding the right woman or couple to be a known donor for.  I appreciate the advice and plan to be persistent. And if you come across someone who sounds like a good match for me...Big Smile best.Joe

• Options
    There is a website that matches donors with moms/ surrogates with dads.  I don't specifically know what it is but know someone (who I have lost touch with) who has used them.  Unfortunately I don't know the name but maybe a google search would be fruitful. 
  • Options

bklynbride,

I think the website you are referring to is called www.gayfamilyoptions.com and my link above is connected to my known donor profile on that site.  thx for the suggestion. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"