Special Needs
Options

Speech Eval this AM

DS2 has a speech evaluation this AM at 930 to "make sure"  he qualifies for Mn speech therapy...but their cutoff for his age she said is 50 words at age 2, and he has like barely 8 that only we can understand. It'll be interesting to see what age level they put him at!
Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Speech Eval this AM

• Options

Good luck! We just had our evaluation on Tuesday with EI through the school year to determine what services DS#1 will qualify for when he turns 3 in September.  At almost 3 DS says about 5-6 words that we understand and about 2-3 that everyone can understand.

Good luck!
    Heather

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Well they came over and did all sorts of testing (cognitive, speech, social, behavioral) to cover all the spectrum for EI qualification in Minnesota. I'm not concerned about anything except his speech ability. Cognitively he's fine, his receptive speech is fine. It's his expressive I have problems with. He wants to talk, he can tell you anything without saying a word. So I have to wait until this afternoon for them to call with his scores. We'll see!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your son sounds like mine!  My oldest has about 75 signs that he uses to convey his needs.  He tries to talk but it usually doesn't come out very clear.  He understands everything said and follows directions perfectly. 

Heather

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

• Options

Heather,

We need to get our sons together and see if they can figure this thing out! lol. My son only uses a few signs....it really doesn't seem to interest him. Have you ever had any other testing done on your son? (Mri, etc)

• Options

DS hasn't had any other testing done yet.  I did schedule an appointment with a developmental pedi for February (took me about a year to get) upon the recommendation of EI.  They wanted that person to consider a fromal dx of verbal apraxia.  I'm not sure what type of testing they will do at that appointment.  DH didn't talk until he was 4 according to MIL so I'm not overly concerned.  DS has about 75 signs that he uses to convey his needs and develops new ones almost daily.  Honestly it's been really helpful in helping him convey his wants without getting frustrated when we don't understand what he needs/wants.

How often is your son in speech?  DS gets it once a week through EI and once a week privately.  I'm currently applying for medical assistance (medicaid through the state) to see if they will cover the extra speech therapy when my private insurance is exhausted (they will only pay for 20 sessions per year).  We were just evaluated through the IU to see what services he will qualify for in September when he turns 3 but I don't have the results yet.

Heather

• Options
    DS gets therapy once a week, but here in Mn they work on the "stretch calendar" and so at times, it's 2-3 weeks in between sessions. For example, we see her next wednesday and it'll have been a month since his last speech session. Her advice was to enunciate the sound in the word I was trying to get him to imitate. I wanted to look at her and say "what do you think I've been doing for the last 9 months?!" lol
  • Options

Hi Girls...sorry to but in, but the post caught my eye. My DD was dx'd with Apraxia at 2 yrs 3months, and her speech through EI was upped immediately from 1x to 4x a week! We also went to Private speech 2x weekly with a SLP trained in "prompt therapy". My insurance only covers 16 speech sessions a year, but once we got our dx, the provider could file what's called a benefit extension to be covered for additional sessions. Also, an SLP dx'd my DD...you don't have to wait for a Dev. Pedi. Good luck!

• Options
    I'm so jealous that you can speech that frequently!  The two SLP won't dx apraxia, they both referred us to a developmental pedi and the wait time was at least a year.  I don't think the availability is there for more frequent services b/c I asked EI if we had the dx would it change services and they said no.  At one time we switched from a special instructor to an SLP and were denied more frequent speech.  I'm applying for medicaid to cover what my private insurance doesn't cover.  I'm interested to see what the IU will recommend for speech therapy once he turns 3.  I'm hoping they will recommend at least twice a week but we'll see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"