Maryland Babies
Options

St Joes?

For those of you who delivered at St Joes what kind of stuff did you pack that you found you needed & then what did you not need?

I know there's the basic "hospital bag checklist" but I'm on bedrest & can't do either the childbirth class or L&D tour so I'm clueless as to what SJMC provides for mom & baby and what I need to bring.

Also did your DH stay with you? How was that part of the experience?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: St Joes?

• Options

I didn't pack much. We did pack a blanket that we bought for the baby and we actually used it, although the hospital does provide blankets. My son also had a huge problem with clawing at his face, but the onesie they gave us had mittens attached to it. We didn't dress him in anything but hospital provided stuff until we left. They provide formula, pads, a breast pump, and a hospital gown.

My DH stayed and it was fine. The couch he slept on was comfy and there were meals for him for $5.

• Options
    I am delivering at St. Joe's as well. Do I need to "pre-register" there?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagegogo2325:
    I am delivering at St. Joe's as well. Do I need to "pre-register" there?

Yes!  I didn't though - at the birthing class they told us that if you had been there before you didn't need to preregister but that's not true.  It took about 30 minutes to register once I got there and a lot of that was gathering information like my parent's address as our back-up emergency contact.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a planned c/s, so I don't know much of what you will need for delivery but I would guess mostly comfort items - chapstick for your, meds, snacks, pillow for your DH.

Afterwards, I wore the hospital gowns most of the time I was there.  They also supply toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo, soap, pads, the lovely mesh undies, towels (not so nice but you're probably going to be bleeding a lot, so I wouldn't bring your own).  For DD they had everything she needed.  The LC's gave me lansolin and nipple shields when I had trouble nursing.

I didn't use much of the stuff I brought with me and I packed light.  I wore the clothes I came in to the hospital home.  I used chapstick, phone, camera, brush, my own toothbrush and make-up. 

DH did sleep there.  He went home on the second day and brought back his pillow and some snacks.  You can order a meal for him for $5 and they are ok, nothing to write home about.  There is also a cafeteria where he can go and get food.

• Options

Your Emily Cate is gorgeous!

We are going to do the one day birthing class. Did you do a one day class or the three week/6 week long session?

• Options
    imagegogo2325:

Your Emily Cate is gorgeous!

We are going to do the one day birthing class. Did you do a one day class or the three week/6 week long session?

We did the 6 week class.  It was good but you can probably get all the information in the one day class.  If you know anything about breastfeeding, I would skip the bf class.  It was more "rah, rah breastfeeding is great" then any useful info.

And thank you about Emily, I think she's cute too!

• Options

A note about the food: you can order as much food as you want for yourself, so if your DH wants to eat something, just add it on to your order. 

I really love St. Joes.  It's the nicest hospital for birthing/post partum that I've seen. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"