Two Under 2

Any 3 under 2 or 3 car seats, what do you drive?

Can 3 car seats fit in a typical (non 3 row) SUV? What do you drive? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any 3 under 2 or 3 car seats, what do you drive?

• Only if 1 seat is a booster can you get 3 seats in a row in a regular car. I've actually never seen it done in an SUV either - seems WAY too tight for me.

I have 3 kids (my oldest is 3.5, my youngest 6.5 months) and I drive a minivan.......... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • we have a hyundai santa fe (mid-size SUV) and we couldn't fit three car seats in it. And my older son is just too young to put in the optional 3rd row we have....total bummer cuz we just got the car last April!
  • Loading the player...
  • Radian carseats are supposed to be able to fit 3 across.

My sister fit three across in her Explorer (a marathon RF on one side, Graco Nautilus in middle FF, and a Roundabout RF on the other side) for a trip we took together with the kids but it was way too tight to do on a permanent basis.

• It might be able to be done but the logistics of putting that together would be a nightmare.  Not to mention that the seats would push up the driver and passenger seats up considerably.  We had a Nissan Pathfinder SUV and that SUV still would have been impractical to put 3 car seats in and manuever easily inside.  We ended up getting a Toyota Sienna and love it!  This coming from someone who said I would NEVER drive a minivan.  The interior and family friendly features of the Sienna made it a great purchase.

What helped us make our decision was going to a car show where we could get in all the SUVs/cars/minvans and see how easy it would be to fit 3 car seats in them and how we could get the kids in and out.  Due to the ages of our kids, it seemed like a minivan was the best option.

• I drive a Subaru Outback, I researched a ton of different 3 across situations for my car cause I did/do NOT want to buy a mini van!  Here's my situation: 3.5 year old in Sunshine Radian, 1.5 year old in Sunshine Radian each placed on the outside seats.  In the middle I have a baby trend infant seat, I have not put it in to check, but I am 99% sure it will fit, just very snug.  I keep telling myself and my husband that it's only for about a year that we have to deal with the snug seating, after that we will either use a booster for the oldest or buy another Radian to use forward facing which would fit no problem.  The Radians are a bit expensive, but definitely cheaper than a new car!

Good luck!

• The only seat I've heard that fits 3 across is the Sunshine Radian.  I have no experience with this or that particular car seat myself.
    imageimage
  • We have a Toyota Tundra 4 full door pick up truck.  We bought it before we found I was pregnant with twins. 

We have our daughters convertible seat in the middle and the 2 infant seats on each side.

The boys will be going to a convertible seat soon and they will fit in the truck.  DH made sure of it.

Our other car, which is mine is a TL - that has no car seats in as it just wouldn't work.

I drive the truck and my husband drives my car.

• Well I dont have 3 yet but made sure my car would fit 3 across if needed, it's a Hummer H3. My sister in law has 3 also in her Hummer H2 which is snug but works... dont know if that helps?? Now there's no way that ANY car is going to be ROOMY with 3 carseats in a line, but if the seats themselves fit then that's all you can hope for.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • I have a Honda Pilot and have done it.  It was snug but it worked so I guess that's what we'll continue doing.
  • We recently bought a Suburban. After looking at everything out there, we figured out that it was really the only thing that would work for us. We have captains chairs in the middle and a bench in the back, so they won't be three across the middle. I preferred it that way. The reason we went with the Suburban is that it or the Explorer EL were the only vehicles with enough cargo space for pack n plays and strollers for three babies plus room for luggage. We travel by car a lot, though, so that was important to us. Even with the Suburban, I told DH I still don't think we are getting all of that stuff in there and I'm afraid we may need one of those hitch cargo basket things!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"