1st Trimester
Options

Haven't pooped in a week

I won't apologize for TMI about poop.  Pregnancy brings lots more grossness, I'm sure.

Anyway, it has been at least 8 days since I've had a bowel movement.
There is NO way I can get prunes or any sort of juice down to help the situation.  Anyone have any non-gag-inducing ideas?

ETA: I'm already taking an Rx prenatal that contains a stool softener.

Re: Haven't pooped in a week

• Options
    My RE said I could take any OTC medicine to help with it.  I hope you can poo soon.
  • Options
    Drink a ton of water, and I find that Fiber 1 cereal helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes I highly recommend Fiber 1 cereal
  • Options
    Ugh! I am right there with you. My stomach is killing me because of it!  I took a Colace last night and am about to take another one, plus eat a Fiber 1 bar.  Apparently eating fruit helps too.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• Options

I don't think I can get a fiber one bar down.  Fruit keeps coming back out.

Water makes me gag.  

I'm feeling so hopeless.  LOL.  :cry::

• Options

1. drink a gallon of water a day.

2. lots of fiber

3. milk of magnesia

These work for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    try figs, spinach and lots of water. ?any sort of fiber supplement should help you out as well. ?
  • Options
    metamucil is safe to take while pregnant and will help to regulate your bowel movements.. bran and apples help too
  • Options
    Fiber bars which are not only yummy-helps :)
  • Options

I ate two ears of corns and two classes of apple cider for dinner last night  and took my first Colese to have my first poo in five days this morning.  I think I'm going to try Mltimucil. 

Good luck to all of you.  I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Okay, at the risk of sounding super-gross... have you thought about an enema?  The only reason I'm suggesting it is because it sounds like you can't keep anything down long enough for you to digest it.  In order for all the fiber-yummies to work, you have to be able to actually digest them, which is sounds like your body is rejecting.  Desperate times, desperate measures?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

After my c-section I hadnt pooped in 8 days.  I was literally freaking out.  I called the DR office and they said Milk of Magnesia.  I will always be grateful to that chalky blue bottle.  It worked great, scary, but relief at last.

If you can take Milk of Mag. do it today.

• Options

imagesapgirl76:
    Okay, at the risk of sounding super-gross... have you thought about an enema?  The only reason I'm suggesting it is because it sounds like you can't keep anything down long enough for you to digest it.  In order for all the fiber-yummies to work, you have to be able to actually digest them, which is sounds like your body is rejecting.  Desperate times, desperate measures?

yeah. i'm considering it.  i'm thinking about picking one up from CVS and having on hand in case it comes to that.  ugh.

• Options
    Maybe suppositories?  Just stick it up your butt and wait for the magic to happen.  Good luck!  :)
  • Options
    Ouch. Yeah you need to get that taken care of. I'd go with a salaine enema and then start taking a stool softener with your prenatal.
  • Options
    Benefiber citrus punch isn't bad.  It tastes like sunny d and it helps.  Good luck
    "Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."
  • Options
    imageSweetSpikette:

imagesapgirl76:

yeah. i'm considering it.  i'm thinking about picking one up from CVS and having on hand in case it comes to that.  ugh.

Just do it...get a Fleet's enema. I couldn't go at all after I had my first son. It was uncomfortable to do, but it did the job...FAST. I felt so much better after.

• Options

ouch. prune juice? yack.

colace safe????

• Options
    I might also ask your doctor about maybe putting you on a different prenatal.  I had told my doctor that constipation is normal for me (not pregnant) and he mentioned that if the prenatal had too much iron that it could make that worse.  He prescribed me one with a lower, yet still effective dose of iron, and it has some kind of laxative type element to is also.  I have been going pretty regularly since.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My doctor told me that I shouldn't take an enema while pregnant, especially in the first trimester.  So I would recommend checking with your doctor before doing that.  I had the same issue and my doctor told me to take Miralax.  It helped.  It use to be a prescription laxative that is now over the counter.  I would recommend trying that before the enema.  Good luck.
  • Options
    I recently heard that a cup of hot water with lemon does the trick. I've never had to do it, but I've read that it works. Good luck!
    Our Becker Blog Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    miralax worked for me. i is flavorless and you add it to any drink. hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    Cup of coffee every morning has kept me in good shape. All you need is one!
  • Options

So sorry you're going through this!

My prenatal vitamin contains a stool-softener, I think it's PreCare Premier?  It's prescription, but definitely worth it. 

• Options

Same issues here. In addition to granola bars, fiber one now has a ton more products like yogurt, muffins, and poptart like things just to mention a few. I try to have one product (yogurt) as part of breakfast to get in added fiber. I also found that having something fiber heavy during the day has helped over the last week. When I went to the doctor Monday she said Colace, Miralax, and NON STIMULANT laxative like milk of magnesia is safe. She said if it helped to take something every other day because the problem only gets worse!

Hang in there you aren't alone. Oh mustard too can get at least some gas out. Oh and lemon water each night before bed. I drink 2.5 cups in a big glass. I like to call it Lemon Water Sunset :)

• Options
    I ATE LOTS OF RAISIN BRAN AND WATER
  • Options

i heard about the hot water and lemon on this board too.  don't know if it works.

also a cup of decaf coffee might help.

omg, you poor thing.  8 days is a loooooong time. gl!

• Options
    I just posted my solution on the first and second tri boards. I was in the exact same situation yesterday. I'm diabetic and can't have much fruit or juices, so my solution was cabbage soup. It's really not bad. I love it. Check out my recipe on the boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"