3rd Trimester
Options

Inductions

Take it from someone who is being induced for emergency medical reasons, Pitocin is not your friend, and being induced is horrible. I can't believe how anxious some people are to say yes to this. If your baby is healthy and you can keep from having this experience take my advice and just wait it off.

Re: Inductions

• Options
    Yes Thank you!
  • Options

imageJCM083009:
    Yes Thank you!

ditto this! We had the induction talk with my OB yesterday...you've helped me stay strong to the thought of being 42w pregnant.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    my cousin just gave me this same advice over the weekend. she has two kids....one came natural without any help and one was induced. she said the induction (her 2nd) was horrible b/c of the pitocin contrax and she would never do it again.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I heard from another friend who gave birth in April that induction via drugs is NOT fun. She said she was crying so bad and gripping the rails on her hospital bed because it hurt so much... I wonder if Pitocin is the same as this tampon-like thing they insert in you? Hmmm.. Either way, it scares me! Thanks for the scoop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We were given the option for yesterday morning, and I turned it down.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would like to go as far as 10 days over due if i have to avoid induction unless it's NECESSARY. I am scared of pitocin and really don't want to do it.  I know that some people have good experiences, but I think that is the case when they already have some progress...forcing labor just doesn't seem right...and your body WILL do what it needs to do.  It is an EDD for a REASON.
  • Options

imageCherylAnne79:
    Yeah, I heard from another friend who gave birth in April that induction via drugs is NOT fun. She said she was crying so bad and gripping the rails on her hospital bed because it hurt so much... I wonder if Pitocin is the same as this tampon-like thing they insert in you? Hmmm.. Either way, it scares me! Thanks for the scoop.

Cervadil is to prep the cervix and make it more favourable. You don't necessarily need to go with Pitocin because of that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Options
    mrsmelmrsmel member

i'm hoping to avoid the stuff like the plague.

especially because it seems like in the past few days, there have been multiple birth stories that started with inductions (for what reasons, i'm not sure and i'm not judging), but that ended with emergency c-sections. i so don't wanna go there.

• Options
    I am also anti-induce, but I have GD and am worried my OB will induce me...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageCherylAnne79:
    ... I wonder if Pitocin is the same as this tampon-like thing they insert in you? Hmmm.. Either way, it scares me! Thanks for the scoop.

Pitocin is given through an IV.  It's an artificial form of oxytocin which is the the natural hormone that puts you into labor (amongst a few) and gives you contractions, etc. However, there is nothing natural about Pit, the contractions are often stronger, closer together, and much harder on the baby (causing fetal distress and leading to a c section) and way harder to cope with for the mom.

• Options
    Way to fear-monger.  Many people need inductions for medical reasons and are probably nervous enough as is.  I was induced too and yeah, it was hard.  But birth is hard, period, and you can handle more than you think.  I don't think people should just elect for an induction without knowing the facts, but I don't think we need to make sweeping negative statements about inductions either.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageJCM083009:

imageCherylAnne79:
    ... I wonder if Pitocin is the same as this tampon-like thing they insert in you? Hmmm.. Either way, it scares me! Thanks for the scoop.

Pitocin is given through an IV.  It's an artificial form of oxytocin which is the the natural hormone that puts you into labor (amongst a few) and gives you contractions, etc. However, there is nothing natural about Pit, the contractions are often stronger, closer together, and much harder on the baby (causing fetal distress and leading to a c section) and way harder to cope with for the mom.

This.  And, according to my personal research, about 50% end up in C-section. That number is WAY too high in my opinion, so hopefully it all can be avoided.

• Options

Yes

My OB brought up the possibiliy of an induction at my appointment on Monday if I don't have the baby by the 13th.  And I wanted to cry.  She said that if I don't have the baby by my next appointment that she'd want to schedule an induction becuase she doens't want me to go past 41.5 weeks.  I'd really not prefer to go through that though. 

I'm going on a LONG ASS walk tonight, going to get some damn pineapple (which I HATE!) and some red raspberry leaf tea. 

• Options
    This is true. I was 14 days overdue and had to be induced w/ DD1. I planned to go med-free  or at least attempt it. My doctor advised me that being induced it may be more difficult b/c contraction come on harder and quicker once induced. I am hoping DD2 comes on her own. I dread an induction again!
  • Options
    imageJCM083009:

imageCherylAnne79:

I think she's talking about Cervadil.  I LOL at "tampon-like thing"  :)

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
  • Options
    imagemrsmel:

especially because it seems like in the past few days, there have been multiple birth stories that started with inductions (for what reasons, i'm not sure and i'm not judging), but that ended with emergency c-sections. i so don't wanna go there.

this was a big reason I was so against being induced. However I read and then discussed with my doctor that most inductions that lead to c-section are for women who had complication that would have lead them to a c-section anyway.

• Options
    imageKacieLeigh:
    imageJCM083009:

imageCherylAnne79:

I think she's talking about Cervadil.  I LOL at "tampon-like thing"  :)

haha yeah, I'm sure she is. I think she was also asking if Pit was the "same" as that. ;) 

• Options

imageiris427:
    Way to fear-monger.  Many people need inductions for medical reasons and are probably nervous enough as is.  I was induced too and yeah, it was hard.  But birth is hard, period, and you can handle more than you think.  I don't think people should just elect for an induction without knowing the facts, but I don't think we need to make sweeping negative statements about inductions either.

Agreed.  I am tired of all the anti-induction, anti-c-section sentiments and the fear mongering posts.

My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageDaniella4:
    imagemrsmel:

this was a big reason I was so against being induced. However I read and then discussed with my doctor that most inductions that lead to c-section are for women who had complication that would have lead them to a c-section anyway.

In first timers with an unfavorable bishop score, it is more likely to lead to a c/s.  I don't think all of those women would have had a c/s anyway because they have a larger c/s rate than the general population.  It's hard to say though, because it depends on the reason they were being induced in the first place.  Generally though, a first time mom with an unfavorable cervix has a high chance of a failed induction and a c/s for failure to progress, which has nothing to do with other medical conditions--her body just wasn't receptive yet.  A woman who has had a prior vaginal delivery and gets induced doesn't have much higher odds of a c/s.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageefortune:

imageiris427:

Agreed.  I am tired of all the anti-induction, anti-c-section sentiments and the fear mongering posts.

Agreed.

I refuse to fear any kind of labor & delivery.

• Options

imageiris427:

Thank you!  While I don't think that the decision to induce should be taken lightly, I think that far too many women go into an induction expecting the worst. 

Are there higher C-section rates associated with inductions? for sure

Are there needless inductions being done -whether it be for doctor or patient convenience?  I suspect so

But there are also valid medical reasons for opting to have an induction, and I don't think they should be discounted.  The longer a woman goes past her EDD, the greater the risk of the baby ingesting meconium.  Amniotic fluid levels decrease.  The placenta breaks down.  All of these things can lead to an emercency c-section anyways.

There is also some indication that how the induction is conducted has a great bearing on the outcome (amount of pitocin, timing of increases etc).

In my area, the standard of care is no inductions before 41 weeks, but no later than 41w 3d

I've had 2 inductions, and both were great experiences - maybe I was lucky, process for the first was 6 hours start to finish, second was 2.5 hours.  In both cases my cervix was already favourable, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I wouldn't change my decision in a heartbeat. 

• Options
    imageefortune:

imageiris427:

I agree with this too, but if people do their research and understand ALL sides of this, they can make an educated decision.  There are SOME docs who push induction and it gets old that they can't just allow women's bodies to do what they need to do to get ready.  We are on BABY'S schedule, not our own or the doc's.  So, fear mongering or not, labor in general is scary and all avenues should be researched so decisions can be made that are best for you.

NO ONE knows how their body will react to an epi or pitocin.  It doesn't work for everyone - this board alone proves that.  I think it's important to discuss it.  If people want to be induced or elect a c/s, fine, but not all of us feel that way and it's OK to hope for a natural birth, without intervention.  It has been proven time and again the outcome is better for mom and baby if they can go into labor on their own.  The body and baby are both ready.  If you force something, it is more difficult TYPICALLY.  And, it's good to know ALL sides.

• Options
    I've heard this as well, and for this reason (and others) I want to avoid it. But, I might not have a choice since my dr. insists on doing it at 41 weeks. Maybe I can just miss the appointment or something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had to have pitocin with my first because my water broke, and I wasn't having contractions.  The second they flipped the switch on the pitocin it was hell.  If I am hoping for anything this time around, it is to not have to have pitocin.
  • Options
    imageiris427:
    imageDaniella4:
    imagemrsmel:

In first timers with an unfavorable bishop score, it is more likely to lead to a c/s.  I don't think all of those women would have had a c/s anyway because they have a larger c/s rate than the general population.  It's hard to say though, because it depends on the reason they were being induced in the first place.  Generally though, a first time mom with an unfavorable cervix has a high chance of a failed induction and a c/s for failure to progress, which has nothing to do with other medical conditions--her body just wasn't receptive yet.  A woman who has had a prior vaginal delivery and gets induced doesn't have much higher odds of a c/s.

Regardless, just be reassured that you don?t have to worry that being induced will automatically cause need for c-section. I was against it more than anyone and found out that what you hear and read doesn?t mean it will apply to you.

• Options
    imagemrsmel:

This! mut i need to get my BP down or im afraid i will have to be induced :(

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was induced with my first and would be glad to be induced again.  To heck with the pain, I got an epi and would do it again just so I could stop feeling so absolutely miserable every day.
  • Options

imagemeg1974:
    I've heard this as well, and for this reason (and others) I want to avoid it. But, I might not have a choice since my dr. insists on doing it at 41 weeks. Maybe I can just miss the appointment or something.

You always have a choice! :)  Remember, this experience is something you'll never forget.  Your doctor, on the other hand, goes through deliveries like an assembly line.  Don't be afraid to stand your ground... or "miss" your appointment, lol.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    imageJCM083009:

imageCherylAnne79:

It is made from horse and pig horomones...

• Options
    imageBlairWaldorf:
    imageefortune:

imageiris427:

Agreed.

Ditto this. Twins have an increased morbidity rate at 40 weeks same as singletons at 42 weeks. It looks like I will be induced and I don't get to choose this. I have a doctor for a reason, she respects my wishes and is interested in my opinion,  but neither one of us forgets who is the doctor. There is no way that I would refuse to have labor started when it is in my children's best interests because I want to have an ideal organic birthing experience.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMoMandA:
    imageBlairWaldorf:
    imageefortune:

imageiris427:

Agreed.

Ditto this. Twins have an increased morbidity rate at 40 weeks same as singletons at 42 weeks. It looks like I will be induced and I don't get to choose this. I have a doctor for a reason, she respects my wishes and is interested in my opinion,  but neither one of us forgets who is the doctor. There is no way that I would refuse to have labor started when it is in my children's best interests because I want to have an ideal organic birthing experience.

I ditto all of this. Quit telling people how they should/should not be having their babies. I have heard horror stories about c/s AND and I have heard horror stories about natural births. Neither is fun, but we will all do what we're comfortable with and its no one's place to say anything about it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Options
    I was induced because of many reasons and it really wasn't as horrible as everyone says. The contractions didn't really hurt too bad until after they broke my water. Then I got my epidural and it was fine. The only thing that was horrible for me was the rectal pressure as she was sitting right there before it was time to push. I was induced and gave birth vaginally. I hate that a lot of people try and say induction = c-section. It does happen but it also happens when birth is started naturally. You should be open-minded to all possibilities. Especially if it is for the health of you and your baby.
  • Options
    that's what i've heard/seen (i interned on labor and delivery when i was in college for a summer). thanks for the advice though!
  • Options

thank you!

I will avoid pitocin at all costs and can't understand why some women are so excited to be induced. I get that we are all anxious and excited to meet our babies, but what's another 1-2 weeks after the 40 we've alreay been through. 

Someone posted last week in a very ecxcited tone "my dr will induce me at 39 weeks...you don't even have to be overdue anymore."....ya...cool

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cedenscedens member

i am late in response to this but really wanted to say that i wish i hadn't read this post...

like a pp said, some ppl HAVE to get induced for medical reasons, and would really rather not "accidently" read something that scares the crap out of them...  i have high bp and doc is inducing me if the baby does not come by my due date bc of the risk to me and the baby...

i dont need to be reminded about how difficult contractions are and that they "can" lead to c/s (just like natural births "can" lead to c/s)... there are many factors that go into being induced and whether or not u need a c/s... everyone's body is different... so again, scaring ppl is not a good idea...

• Options

I got very sick with DS. My BP was out of control and it was no longer safe for me to be pg. Thankfully, I was already 3 cm and 80% effaced. They only had to give me a very small dose of pitocin and I had a great birth experience. I was induced at 8pm and DS was born at 9:25 the next morning. I am so glad that my dr had my best interest at heart and took care of me because it could have gotten much worse if I had waited.

I have my 39 week check up this afternoon. I am a little nervous because my BP is getting up there again. It's not quite as bad but we don't want to get to that point again where it's an emergency. I will let them induce me again if they feel that my BP is putting me or my baby at risk.

I am all for letting nature take it's course but I will say, the closer I get to my DD, the more nervous I am about movement, fluid levels and placenta health. I would be devestated if something bad were to happen because I insisted that I let nature take it's course. The health of my child is #1.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"