Working Moms
Options

Nanny Pay HELP! (long)

Ok, I just heard back from this girl that said she would watch our LO, which is great!  She is wanting to talk money, I am not prepared, this started a casual conversation, I am 100% commission and sales are down so yeah.  She has a one year old that I am letting her bring to my house while she watches my LO, I think that is a huge perk for her.  We are in the DFW area, I am going to have her watch the baby 3 days per week and I have family to help for 2 days.  I was thinking $7 but I feel like that is cheap, but she can bring her daughter....I don't know....if we get up to $10 which I think is really good I can put LO in full time day care and only take them part time.  Thoughts????
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nanny Pay HELP! (long)

• Options
    Find out the going rate, and pay half since she's basically getting paid to watch her own child.
  • Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    Find out the going rate, and pay half since she's basically getting paid to watch her own child.

That's what I'd do. ?I'd pay half the going rate of a nanny in your area. ??

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    E CE C member

imageKRIST4N:
    She has a one year old that I am letting her bring to my house while she watches my LO, I think that is a huge perk for her.  Thoughts????

I'm not sure that this is a big of a perk for her as you think it is.  She has to pack up her kid, food, clothes, diapers, etc, so that she can come to your house to get paid half salary to watch yours? 

I imagine that if you didn't let her bring her LO, she wouldn't have offered to nanny for you.  I would caution you against thinking that you're doing her a favor with that.

• Options

Find out the going rate based on her experience and then decide.  Did you ask on your local board?

I'd probably offer more than 1/2 the going rate, though, because, while I do think it's good from her perspective that she can bring her daughter, I don't think it's worth a 50% discount.  I'd probably go in the 75% range. 

You may not want to base it on whether you would pay the same to daycare, because it can be hard to find a part-time daycare.

• Options
    I wouldn't offer her 1/2.  If you go into this w/ too much of an attitude of "we're doing you a favor", she may decide it's not worth it after all.  She IS still watching your child. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    We pay our nanny, who also brings her daughter $10 an hour, which is a bit less than the $15 I think is the going rate. I would ask her first what she expects and go from there.
  • Options
    I'm sending you a private message.
  • Options

I'm in the DFW area too Smile

To give you a starting point, I have friends in Lewisville who just hired a nanny for their 10-month-old, and they are paying $10/hour and that is the absolute lowest they could find. The woman they got is actually their second choice; their first choice (who backed out at the last minute) was going to bring her own daughter, and she was asking $10/hour as well.

I think asking her to take half of that would be insulting. That would be less than minimum wage.

Yes, at $10/hour, it would probably be about the same price as full-time daycare. I'm pretty close to Grapevine and most daycares in my area are around $250/week for full-time infant care. And then you wouldn't have to worry about your nanny calling in sick at the last minute and leaving you with no care, you'd have backup care on the other two days if your family couldn't help out, etc. On the flip side, your child would get less 1:1 attention, it would be less convenient for you to pack him/her up every morning to go to daycare, etc. It's up to you to decide what's most important to you.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    Thanks for the input! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would probably still pay the going rate and consider her bringing her child a perk of the job. As a PP stated, she is still watching your child.
  • Options
    Hi - I have a nanny that brings her child and I pay $10 an hour, this is actually on the low end for Phoenix. Most nanny's are paid between $12 - $15, even when they bring their child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"