2nd Trimester

pushing the 20 week u/s earlier?

Does anyone know why the drs would have pushed my 20 wk u/s from 21 wks to 19?  The woman making the appts said it is easier to see if it is sooner rather than later.  Is that BS so they could it me in?
Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: pushing the 20 week u/s earlier?

• Usually, the longer you wait, the better it is to see things. That doesn't sound right.
  • Doesn't sound right to me either.  The longer you wait, the greater chance you have of it being accurate.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe it was just a scheduling conflict, but u should be fine at 19 weeks. We found at the sex at 17 weeks without a doubt.

• Easier to see what?? 

I don't know of any medical reason why... maybe someone is going on vacation and it will be easier to schedule people now when they have their full staff.  I'm not going to my 2nd US 'till i'm 20 weeks - I guess its just different from each office to another.

• I'm having mine next week, so I'll be 19 weeks. You can tell the sex as early at 16 weeks (if LO cooperates!).
  • Mine was at 19 weeks.  My MW said anytime between 18-22weeks was fine.  It was the only appointment they had open.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My people tried to switch my appt. too, they told me the Dr. had some "hard cases" the day my u/s was scheduled. They wanted to add me a week later, but I am going out of town, so it didn't really work. I ended up having my big u/s at 19w2d and found out the sex just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Earlier to see what? Measurements for diagnostic purposes are the most important part of the 20w u/s. That's why they try to schedule between 19-21w.
  • my big one is at 19.5w so next week.  i found out we are having a boy at 16.5.
  • Please keep in mind that this u/s is NOT to find out the gender. This is a medically necessary tool that is used to determine whether or not your child is developing correctly.

Finding out the gender is just a plus that some people can see with the u/s.

• My doctor wanted the U/S done at 19 or so weeks so that we could go over it at my 20 week check up.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • My OB office schedules them from 17-20 weeks, I asked if it made a difference and she said that it did not, they will be able to see and measure everything perfectly at the 17 week mark.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I had mine at 18w 2d.  My doc schedules them anywhere between 18-21 weeks.

• Leap08Leap08 member

Mine is at 19w2d. My Doc prefers to do them around 19w. I don't know why.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If you're referring to gender- I have heard that sometimes it's harder to determine gender when you are much farther along because the lack of space, ability to move he baby around to get a good view. I do not think this would be the case at 21w though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Their reasoning sounds shady to me.  The longer you wait, the better.  I will say that I went for my big U/S at 19 weeks and they were able to see everything.  My doctor just said that they prefer not to see anyone before 18 weeks as that's too early.  20 weeks is the typical.  I went one week earlier (with my doctors permission) because I had family visiting from out of town that week and wanted to share the news with them. 
  • Sounds like they over-booked, and want to even it out.

No biggie though, I had mine at 19w 2d!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"