Health & Exercise
Options

My Dr. told me Stop the prenatal vitamins

I have had morning sickness all day long everyday for the last month.  My Dr. told me to stop the prenatal vitamins for now.  This makes me worry, but when I take them I can't keep them down.  Has anyone else had this issue???

Re: My Dr. told me Stop the prenatal vitamins

• Options

If the doctor told you to stop, stop.  Women have been having healthy babies for millenia without prenatal vitamins.

I've also heard of ladies taking two flintstones chewables -- maybe you could try that if you really want some kind of vitamin?

Hold out for second tri, and hopefully this will all go away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried taking them with something besides water and then after taking them drink a bottle of water or so? I noticed when I take certain PNV with water, it makes me sick, but when I drink something else, I don't have any problems and I typically go right to sleep. I take my PNV at night so if there are any problems after taking them, I'm asleep and don't notice. Whenever I took them during the day time I was sick ALL day. But I feel like a newborn, my body thinks it has to eat every 2 hours even if its just a snack. I would try taking them with something else besides water and if that doesn't work then try a different brand or just stop taking them if the doctor said it was fine. You will just need to get those nutrients elsewhere.... GOODLUCK!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i found when i took them in the AM they made me sick but if I took them before bed I was fine.  also I ended up switching brands.  The Materna ones made me gag.  Maybe look around for something else.  Ideally though, you should be able to get everything you need from your diet.  If you lay off the vitamins pay attention to what you are eating.  Think nutrient dense foods and a wide variety of stuff.
  • Options

I had tried everything and couldn't keep them down. They even had to put me on some other medication to keep food down from weeks 9-18.

Don't worry about it, when your doc feels like you can stomach them you will be asked to try them again. Keeping some food down is better than trying to keep the vitamins down. ?

My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Options
    Ask your doctor if you can just take folate alone.  My folate vitamins are very small and tasteless. 
  • Options
    i had pretty bad morning sickness, all day.  I took one to two flinstone chewables, depending on how nauseaed i felt that day and it got me through the entire pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I had this problem, i couldnt keep them down at all. My doctor just kept saying "take them at bed time". no matter when i took them, or what i took them with i was sick. They would make me gag, and if i did manage to get them down they were too hard on my stomach. I finally gave up on them. I didnt want to take them anyways, since I eat really healthy, and don't really agree with taking artificial supplements in general. Anything my baby neesd it will take from me. People have been having babies alot longer than prenatal vitamins have been around!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My frugal living & home management blog: Not A Coupon Queen Blog
  • Options

I was told to stop taking mine at around 16 weeks because of digestion issues I was having and the iron count was excarbating them...

I went back on them at 22 weeks. So, your dr. probably won't keep you off them the whole time, but if they do than they have your best interest in mind.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options
    I had trouble keeping them down as well until I started taking them at night.
  • Options
    I never took prenatal vitamins.  I threw up with them no matter how I took them or what time of day.  Some people just can't take a supplement.
  • Options
    If you aren't keeping them down they aren't helping and are possibly making the sickness worse.  Stop taking them and make sure what you can eat is the best possible nutrition wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"