Working Moms

When did you go on maternity leave?

2»

Re: When did you go on maternity leave?

• I planned on working right up until delivery, but my dr. had me stop at just under 2 weeks before DD was born. I was teaching and he was concerned that I was so active that my uterus would be fatigued during labor. I wasn't too into that plan and was going crazy at home and walking like 3 miles a day trying to go into labor. I would say it would be nice to have about a week at home to yourself before your due date to do final cleanings, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had every intention of working as late as I could, im allowed 4 wks before due date to be taken off work, but standing on cement flooring for 8hrs a day was causing me to cramp. ?They took me off work for preterm labor. So there went that plan.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went on leave the day DS was born. 

I left work at 7 pm on a Thursday, and DS was born at 3 pm on Friday.  (He was 3 weeks early.)

• With my first I worked until I went into labor and with my second I had a planned induction and worked up until the day before that.  I never even discussed leaving earlier with my doctor.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I started my maternity leave the day after I had DD.  She was born 6 weeks early and it was a total surprise.  So my water broke on Sunday morning and by that afternoon, she was born.  I had left my office on Friday with the usual intention of coming back on Monday morning.  That didn't happen.
  • I worked past my due date, right up until the day before I was induced. The last few weeks were tough, but I wanted to save all my time until after DD was born. Plus, it really did help to keep me busy. I had no medical issues and no real reason to start my leave early other than being tired, anxious, and uncomfortable :) Good luck!
  • I worked up until delivery.  My last day of work was a Friday and DS was born on Sunday morning.
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

the average pg women at my company goes out 4w before her due date.

any time i take off before (on STD) does not take away from my time after, though- so that didn't come into play.

Ditto.  Jersey is semi-cool that way.  I went out a few days ago at 37w 5d.

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • My last day of work was  Friday, I woke up in labor Monday at 2am and had DD on Monday.  She was 10 days early.  I had planned to work in the office up till my due date (so I was very surprised not to return to work on Mon, was kind of in denial and just called into the office to cancel some appts on monday morning but didn't actually tell them I was in labor), then work from home if my due date passed until DC came.

I'm jealous of you people in states that give you 4 weeks off paid before your due date!  that would be heavenly, I remember being so fatigued in my last few weeks of pg.  i wonder if MN has that (I think I would have heard if they do).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So after reading all of this I am contemplating working later than I planned. CA allows me 4 weeks of STD before the baby is due & my job allows me a full 26 weeks of leave time (total, including STD before the baby is here), then I'd only have 5 months at home with my baby, but only 2 months unpaid.... OR I would stick it out & go on leave maybe a week before due date & have the extra 3 weeks at home with the baby after he's here, BUT I would be missing out on almost 3 months of pay.... ugh!!!
  • I went out 7 weeks before my due date and was going out of my mind by 36 weeks.  This time I will work as long as I can physically stand it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"