Baby Showers

Opening gifts at a your shower

So this weekend, I went to two showers.  At the first one, when the mother to be was opening the gifts, no one was really paying attention.

The second one, we ran out of time at the restaurant to open gifts, but everyone seemed almost relieved that they didn't have to sit through that.

I personally think it's so boring to watch someone open gifts as well, is this really necessary to do?  

Re: Opening gifts at a your shower

• Yes it might be a little boring, but there are actually people in attendance that look forward to opening the gifts.  The grandmothers, aunts, best friends and maybe even the mother-to-be.  The whole point of a shower is to honor the parents-to-be and their LO.  If you do not want to open gifts at your own shower just make sure you wouldn't be disappointing your Mother or MIL or the hostess of the shower. 
  • Yes, it is necessary. I'm one of those weirdos who likes to watch the bride/mom open the gift that I spent my time & money picking out :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, if you're worried about your guests being bored (most of them will not be) you could ask the hostess to cut/serve the cake while you open...gives them a little something to munch on while you open presents.

Just try not to be delicate when opening...open them up quickly, say thank you and move on.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • imageAshNicole331:

Also, if you're worried about your guests being bored (most of them will not be) you could ask the hostess to cut/serve the cake while you open...gives them a little something to munch on while you open presents.

Just try not to be delicate when opening...open them up quickly, say thank you and move on.

This.

• I'm one of those people that feel relieved!  haha.

What my friend did towards the end of her shower this weekend was thank everyone for coming and invited those her wanted to stay for the gift opening to stay.  I think it worked out well.  Some of the people, who had to go, had an out.  And the older ladies stayed to ohh and ahh. 

I think it really depends on your crowd. 

• Opening gifts is pretty much all that goes on in the showers I've been too, so I can't imagine what you would do with all that time if not for opening gifts.  Like a PP said, your hostess could announce that you're going to open them if people would like to stay, and that gives people an out that don't want to watch.  But, personally, I like watching people open gifts.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baby Bingo - it gives them something to do while you open gifts. The ladies at my shower this past weekend (they're an older crowd of 50+ women) were REALLY into it and super competitive about the bingo aspect, so they were on the edge of their seat with each gift I opened. It was pretty funny to see how intense they got, lol.
  • My shower will be more "open house" style - where they come and go as they please.  We'll have food, and things (crafty things) to do, but no set schedule.  So I plan to open gifts as people arrive, which I've heard is tacky, but I've been to showers like that, and found no problem with it.  People will get to see me open the gift, and they will get a personal "thank you" and I figure it'll take the boredom and pressure out of the situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAt1stsight:
    Baby Bingo - it gives them something to do while you open gifts. The ladies at my shower this past weekend (they're an older crowd of 50+ women) were REALLY into it and super competitive about the bingo aspect, so they were on the edge of their seat with each gift I opened. It was pretty funny to see how intense they got, lol.

Yes, exactly! Baby Bingo is the way to go if you want to keep people engaged in the process. 

• It is polite to open your gifts while your guests are there and impolite not to.  I've never been to a shower (and I've been to probably 30 of them in my life) where the guests were bored with the gift opening.  Obviously there are a couple people, sometimes, that have to leave early and will ask the mom-to-be to open their gift first (which is fine IMO) but I've never heard anyone say they were bored and didn't want to sit through the gift opening.  As for opening them as people come...I think a lot of guests (especially older ones...which I put myself in this category) would be disappointed they didn't get to see all the gifts opened. 

Seriously, some of the comments I hear on here from some moms-to-be make them sound like they would just as soon have no actual "shower" and just make a registry and have people send the gift to their home unwrapped to save them time and energy.  They don't like games, they don't like opening gifts, and they don't want to watch people open gifts either.  If that is the case why even bother with a shower.  They should just skip it and buy all the stuff on the registry themselves.

• lkichlkich member
    I agree, nobody really wants to watch you open presents. I hated doing it at my bridal shower and don't want to do it again but don't think I have a choice.
  • I just had my main shower on Sunday and we had a great time with the gift opening. I actually had two people come up to me afterwards and tell me how much fun they had watching me open them. Because we had a co-ed thing I told my DH that he didn't have to sit around the gift circle so he and his friends were on the other side of the room talking and those who wanted to watch were on the present side. It turned out fun and everyone's personality really came out in their gifts, it was great.
  • I love to watch people open gifts at showers.  I think it provides the recipient with an immediate opportunity to express gratitude to the gift givers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Personally, I think that not opening your gifts at a shower is actually a bigger breach of etiquette than throwing a shower for yourself.

The whole purpose of the party is for you to be showered with gifts, and to give your guests the chance to be involved in the baby prep process.  It doesn't have to be a huge show - serve cake or desserts or drinks, encourage people to chat, play baby-bingo or some silly game and make it fast, but you do have to do so.

• I love seeing all the gifts. Start while people are eating and talking and let it be a social thing.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Serving dessert and some sort of game during gift opening is a must for me.  Watching people open gift after gift makes my eyes want to bleed.  It gets monotonous after awhile.  I like looking at them after they are open and layed out sure - see what's cute/new/fun, etc.  But the actual process gets boring after awhile.
    TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
  • imageAt1stsight:
    Baby Bingo - it gives them something to do while you open gifts. The ladies at my shower this past weekend (they're an older crowd of 50+ women) were REALLY into it and super competitive about the bingo aspect, so they were on the edge of their seat with each gift I opened. It was pretty funny to see how intense they got, lol.

Yes!!! I love to play gift baby bingo and I am only 27!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"