Adoption

S/O Splitting Boards - Adoptive Parents

There was interest in the PAD post to potentially split boards and I think Jacks was just polling to see if there was interest and if we needed to do anything.

I have to be honest, I sometimes feel like I don't know where I fit on the bump.  I am a blended family with bio and adopted, I have virtual twins, I am dealing with a kinship adoption that is sort of like foster/adopt, I have a sort of special needs child, and I am just dealing with normal parenting stuff.

I wish there was a place for adoptive parents because I think many of these issues would likely fit best in a board like that.  I feel safest posting about these types of issues on the adoption board because I feel a sense of community and a vast array of experience with all of you.  Sometimes I struggle that the adoption board seems more focused on the adoption process rather than adoptive parenting. 

My only concern is that the adoption community seems tiny on here and after so long of inactivity our board has finally picked up.  I would hate to split the board in any way and slow the traffic, but I also think a board that is specifically for adoptive parents would be extremely helpful for me (even if 99% of the parenting is the same as non-adoptive parenting).

Re: S/O Splitting Boards - Adoptive Parents

• I understand wanting an adoptive parents board... what i didn't understand was all of the different boards (ie pre adoption, post adoption, fost. adopt, DA, IA...) That was just all way too much IMHO for a board that gets little traffic.

IMHO, I think that as far as this board goes, people need to post what they want to talk about. I get that many are trying to be "sensitive" but I think that can go a bit far.

• imageSally J:

There was interest in the PAD post to potentially split boards and I think Jacks was just polling to see if there was interest and if we needed to do anything.

I have to be honest, I sometimes feel like I don't know where I fit on the bump.  I am a blended family with bio and adopted, I have virtual twins, I am dealing with a kinship adoption that is sort of like foster/adopt, I have a sort of special needs child, and I am just dealing with normal parenting stuff.

I wish there was a place for adoptive parents because I think many of these issues would likely fit best in a board like that.  I feel safest posting about these types of issues on the adoption board because I feel a sense of community and a vast array of experience with all of you.  Sometimes I struggle that the adoption board seems more focused on the adoption process rather than adoptive parenting. 

My only concern is that the adoption community seems tiny on here and after so long of inactivity our board has finally picked up.  I would hate to split the board in any way and slow the traffic, but I also think a board that is specifically for adoptive parents would be extremely helpful for me (even if 99% of the parenting is the same as non-adoptive parenting).

I think you said this better than I did. I don't think that the pre-adoptive process should be split up, I think it would slow down the board a lot and it is nice that this board has really picked up.

I would certainly come to the pre-adoption board because I think that post adoptive parents have interesting insights into the process to help those on their journey.And adoption processes change so much in a short period of time. It helps keep post adoptive parents in the know of what the 'trends' are with current adoption paths.

And, I expect that pre-adoptive parents would check out the post adoption board. But bottom line being that it would give each a 'comfortable' place to talk about the unique issues that face the different spectrums of adoption.

Smile <- does that make me look less hostile lol

• Loading the player...
  • imageMsBlake:

I understand wanting an adoptive parents board... what i didn't understand was all of the different boards (ie pre adoption, post adoption, fost. adopt, DA, IA...) That was just all way too much IMHO for a board that gets little traffic.

IMHO, I think that as far as this board goes, people need to post what they want to talk about. I get that many are trying to be "sensitive" but I think that can go a bit far.

I think you and others misunderstood. We talked about a pre and post adoption board. I didn't want to leave anyone out so I was putting up a list of POTENTIAL options and thought people would discuss them. Instead it turned out just be a YES/NO response from everyone being NO splitting of boards. I was by no means saying we should have 10 different boards - I think that would be silly. My desire is two boards but I can't speak for everyone and so I put up options for people to think about.

• why dont we start off by putting in the subject line (example only):

Parenting: <add subject title>

etc. that way we still have one board, but only certain people need address certain posts. I'd hate to miss the PIP or AW posts and the general conversation, but totally see the need for a parenting topic (or post adoption) to designate to certain issues.

If we find we have a lot of those topics in particular, then maybe we make a formal request to the Nest gods to see if they will just create a second adoption board.

• I know being in the pre-adoptive stage, I like hearing from the post-adoption parents because 99.9% of the time I view it as a success.  You were matched and received a child, so I will to, at some point.  I would be sad to see all of you success stories moce somewhere else.  On the days when I'm having a harder time of it, I stay away from those posts, or just the board in general. 

I understand your need/ interest for a place you could talk openly without worrying about hurting other people's feelings, but what about creating a board within the board?  Like tagging the subject somehow so people are well aware that it is a parenting post so they don't open it on those hard days?  just my $0.02. 

• imageTTCgradstud:

I understand your need/ interest for a place you could talk openly without worrying about hurting other people's feelings, but what about creating a board within the board?  Like tagging the subject somehow so people are well aware that it is a parenting post so they don't open it on those hard days?  just my $0.02. 

This is exactly what I mean to say, but TTC said it better.

We use acronyms like PIP or AW or even SW, FC, BM, etc...why don't we just come up with an acronym like PAP (post adoption post) or PAPP (post adoption parenting post) so those who are having a hard time can pass right over. I TOTALLY still do that with all the BFP posts on any other board...just scroll right past it...

• imagekirstenw05:

why dont we start off by putting in the subject line (example only):

Parenting: <add subject title>

Great minds think alike!  Oh and I don't want to miss seeing everyone's children in their siggies!  they are all so stinkin' cute! (really, we have a board full of attractive children, I wonder how that happened???)

• :::Butting In:::: Personally I like to read issues/questions people have post adoption. We all are going to be in that seat one day and it is nice to see what can come up that we would not think about.

:::::Butting Out::::::::

• I missed a lot today! 

1 - I am happy to see that our board has a lot more activity lately. 

2 - I think it's a great idea to put "Parenting" or "PAP" or some other jargen in the subject line. 

3 - I like it that we can be respectful of each other's choices in creating our families. I enjoy reading about the different paths and reading about the "successes." It's been fun "getting to know" you all over the past several weeks since I joined the board. 

• I love the idea of PAP or some other jagen in the subject line also!!!!  I'm not gonna lie though.....I am still going to read every post!!! ahahahahahah

• Hey! You're not the only stepmom trying to adopt.  Maybe there should be a board for us...
  • imageTTCgradstud:

I know being in the pre-adoptive stage, I like hearing from the post-adoption parents because 99.9% of the time I view it as a success.  You were matched and received a child, so I will to, at some point.  I would be sad to see all of you success stories moce somewhere else.  On the days when I'm having a harder time of it, I stay away from those posts, or just the board in general. 

i agree with this entirely. I look forward to hearing all sorts of experiences! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"