Breastfeeding
Options

OMG - I have a GIANT lump in my breast!

I've been bf'ing for 11 months now, and have had clogged ducts before, so when I felt what seemed like a small lump, I was not concerned.  I took a hot bath, massaged, and pumped.  But today, I felt my breast, and I have a GIANT lump - it is at least 2 inches long.  I don't have a fever yet, but it is huge and painful.  Does this sound like the beginning of mastitis?

Re: OMG - I have a GIANT lump in my breast!

• Options
    i'm not sure, but i would definitely ask your doctor. it is best to check. good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No it sounds like another plugged duct.  I've had several and some have been that big if it's one of the larger ducts or just a larger blockage.  Massage, drink lots of water, rub it a hot shower, feed only on that side and pump the other side, check for blebs (skin can kind of grow over where the milk comes out at the nipple and cause blockage), etc.  Mastitis will cause your skin to be red, and make you feel like you are sick (fever, chills, body aches).  Call your doctor if you are still concerned.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a clogged duct this past weekend and it was huge too.  I could cup the lump with palm.  Scared the daylights out of me because it was my first one.  I called OB he said to feed on that side first, pump out after every feeding, hot showers/massage, hot compresses/massage before feedings, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    image image image
  • Options
    Wow - thanks!  So, how long did it take to get rid of it?  I'm on day 3 and no change.  Previous clogs took me 2 days.  This one won't budge!
  • Options

imageallie_wang:
    Wow - thanks!  So, how long did it take to get rid of it?  I'm on day 3 and no change.  Previous clogs took me 2 days.  This one won't budge!

I had one for almost 5 days.  Painful, but it went away.  That's when I discovered blebs...seriously check your nipples for any dead skin that could be covering where the milk comes out.  Also try feeding your baby in different positions (I found laying him on the bed and leaning over him to be particularly effective.)

• Options
    Thanks again! I'll hang in there for a few more days.
  • Options
    Sure enough - after hot compresses today, a bleb showed up.  I got it to unblock, and the giant lump has started to go down.  Thanks, mamas, for the awesome advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"