Working Moms
Options

LO in daycare at 6 weeks =(

Has anyone had to do this on here. I'm afraid we have no choice. I go back to school this fall, my last year of the RN program, and my son will only be 3 weeks so we are gonna have M and MIL babysit until he is 6 weeks.

I'm just really scared he is too young and I kinda feel bad but I can't take a semester off or I would fail. How did your LO/you deal with the seperation? Has it worked out ok?

Re: LO in daycare at 6 weeks =(

• Options
    I had to go back to work with DD at 7 weeks.  It sucks, I cried everyday for about a month.  Her daycare was terrific though.  She had no issues with it, but my job didn't provide me with a place to pump so I had to switch her to formula at that point too.  She is 6 now, and is very independent and has no separation issues.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    I went back to work when DD was 8 wks.  Not an ideal situation and I will warn you, she got sick within a week (sinus and ear infections -- ETA, she was BFed BTW but it doesn't protect against everything).  But in terms of separation, let me assure you that YOU will have the bigger problem at that age.  It's actually easier for him to get used to daycare at an earlier age because he's not going to be experiencing the separation anxiety that he would at a later age.  Also, DD LOVED the stimulation and being around the other kids.  She thought they were fascinating.  Granted, led to her crashing for a nap on the way home for a while but overall, she loved the experience.  It worked out really well for us after I got over my worrying about leaving her there.  Once I realized how happy she was, it was a lot better. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS started at 12 weeks, but there are babies in the room that have started at 6 weeks.  Like the previous posters have said, they do really well because they are not as aware of their surroundings and they are still mostly sleeping and eating. 
  • Options

My DS started daycare at 8 weeks (I had to go back at 7), and he has done great- he loves his teachers and has always adapted well. At that age, they are really easy to transition and do a lot better that older babies.

My biggest worry was illness, but he's done really well . I do think that breastfeeding a long as possible makes  a huge difference!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went back to work (PT) after 2 weeks, and had him in daycare at 6 weeks.  I did a lot of crying (not gonna lie), but we had to do it.  Your baby won't remember, and somehow you magically do what you need to do.  GL!!!
  • Options

I thought that I was going to have to put her in at 6 wks and was very upset about it.  I ended up having a c/s and had 8 wks off work, then took 2 more unpaid.  Honestly, at 8 wks I would have been ok taking her in to daycare.  So she started at 10 wks, and she is doing GREAT there.  She loves it.  The ladies are all really nice and they take good care of her.  I did one day a week for 2 wks so I could get used to not being around her 24/7, that helped me a lot. I call every day and check on her, and she smiles so big when I go to pick her up in the evening, it's great.

Just try to be positive and it will be ok.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD was 7 weeks. She went to a babysitter for one week until her spot opened at daycare.  At the babysitter she was fine- mostly slept the whole time (awake all night). The next week was difficult adjusting to daycare.  It was very emotional for me, but they loved her and it is great now.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

My DD was 9 weeks old.  So, a little older, but not much.  She did GREAT.  It was WAY harder on me than on her.  You just might be amazed at how your LO adjusts and hopefully enjoys DC like mine does.  I cried, I won't lie.  I felt guilty, and sometimes still do.  But, you do what you have to do and figure out a way to get through it.

• Options
    They sleep so much that early... you are doing the best thing and going to school to provide a good future for you child.  Keep your head up.
  • Options
    My sister had to start her DD at 7 or 8 weeks and it went great.  I know my daycare has had babies as young as 6 weeks, one little girl just started today and they are always treated so well.  I often see them being cuddled and held and given a little extra care when possible.  I know this morning, the Asst director was in and holding the little baby while the morning teacher was dealing with the other kids even though the ratio was still where the teacher would have been fine on her own.  The directors at my center often help out in the infant room by holding the little babies.  My younger DD spent a good amount of time in one of the assitants arms, being carried all over the center when she was young (my DD was super fussy due to her reflux and loves being held).  She still loves this staff member and gets so excited whenever she sees her.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Were do you go to nursing school at? I am in oklahoma as well and just finished nursing school in 2007 at OCCC. I had DD when I had a semester of school left as well luckily my DH aunt watched her for me. Do you go to school every day?  or do you just need care a couple of days a week?
  • Options
    I know it's got to be tough, but I promise you it's tough no matter what the age!  I can tell you my dd started at one year, and she had such a hard time--it took much longer for her to adjust than it did for the younger babies in the room!  Good luck--she will be be fine!  It's us mothers who have the hardest time! ;)
  • Options

DS started daycare at 6 weeks. It was harder on me than him! I think I felt more guilty than anything. DS has done great in daycare and loves it there. He knows I am mommy and his face lights up when I get there to pick him up.

It will be ok! But I won't lie, it was rough.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"