Breastfeeding
Options

Working moms...

I have to go back to work in the beginning of August and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with them when I go back.  I wondered how often you pump at work.  I really don't know how often I will be able to...definitely once on my lunch but I'm thinking 2 times at the most.  I just don't know if I'll get enough milk in 2 pumpings to supply them with the feedings they will need while I'm at work.  I'm thinking they will need 3 feedings while I'm gone, so basically that's 6 feedings worth of milk since there are 2 of them.  How much do you get when you pump?  I know everyone is different.  Right now when I pump at 5am after not having fed them since 10 or 11 pm I get between 9-11 oz.  I guess I'm just worried that BFing will go down the tubes when I go back to work b/c I don't know if I'll be able to pump enough. 

Re: Working moms...

• Options
    sorry, i don't have an answer to your post, but i had to say i love the thing 1 and thing 2 onesies!
  • Options

I'm not going to be much help but I just wanted to let you know that I'm going back to work next week and I'm hoping to pump at least 2 if not 3 times.  I've been ebf-ing the girls so I have no idea how much milk I'm going to get during each pump. 

Plus their not even close to sleeping through the night so I have no chance to pump. 

Even though I've gone 5 months, I'm sad to say I feel the same way- My supply will totally get hit.

Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have twins and have never pumped 9-10oz in a session either but, I have been back at  work 50-70hrs/week since my KO was 6 weeks. You will  be amazed at what your body will do.  I do pump driving into work, 2-3x depending on my schedule, again if she has just had a bottle when we get home and, depending on how she sleeps (lately not through the night),  just prior to my bedtime and in the middle of the night.  My freezer is full and we are rotating through the stash  to keep it fresh.  My point is, it's doable with effort and your healthy sounding supply.

GL 

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Options

Congrats on your twins Alpaca!!

I pump every 3 hours during the day- which is 3 times at work (one right away after I get there). This mirrors what I did on leave. I pump about 50 oz. a day, but I EP, so at work it's about 18-20 those 3 times. ?My work provides hospital grade pumps which is an amazing thing to help supply stay up for those who usually BF--maybe look into renting one for work?

• Options
    I have been back to work for about a week and I pump twice there - 10 & 2 roughly. I have gotten about 14-16oz from those 2 10min sessions. I only have one - I can't imagine pumping for two! Good luck!
    Keira Lorraine - born 3/29/09, 7lbs even, 20.5 inches long!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Elise was born @ 31w on 1/12/11 weighing 3lbs 14oz, 18in - she came home from the NICU on Valentine's day :)
  • Options
    BennyLBennyL member

I borrowed this book from the Library and read it over a few pumping sessions at work. https://www.amazon.com/Milk-Memos-Learned-Business-Babies/dp/1585425443

I've been back at work for a week and I don't have a great supply, but here's my advice.

I was really dreading pumping at work, but suprisingly, I look forward to it. It makes me feel soooo close to DS even though he's at daycare all day. I feel like I'm doing something good for him even though we're apart. I'm not sure about supply issues b/c I was never lucky enough to have the big freezer stashes I've heard about on this board, but I figure, don't worry about it...if you have to supplement a bottle here or there, it's not the end of the world. The good news --- I can tell you that I have always had enough milk for him to take to daycare and drink at home as well. It's just that I am basically pumping for the next day.

I have started drinking 2-3 cups of Mother's Milk Tea every day and it has helped me. Fenugreek should help too, but I have never taken it.

My pumping schedule:-
    5 am [pump or nurse]
    9 am
    1 pm
    3:30 pm (if I can get away from my desk)
    6:00 (in the car on the way for DS)
    9:00 pm [pump or nurse]
    11:00 pm [pump or nurse if I am still awake] 

What's the pumping policy at your office? Is there a lactation room? Or will you use your office or an empty conference room? It would be good to find out before you go back to work. If you have your own office, you could close the door and pump at different times. Also, have you considered pumping in the car? DH and I carpool most days, so I do it in the back...but other women drive with a handsfree bra etc. Like you said, I pump during my lunch break as well. My boss is breastfeeding her 2 year old, so she has been really good about my time off to pump.

Good luck!!!

• Options
    when i first came back to work i pumped three times a day, 9, 12 and 3 which mimicked his feeding schedule. I cut down to 2 sessions around 8mo. Don't doubt your body just yet, you might be able to get your supply adjusted to giving you what you need during those two sessions. not sure what kind of work you do, but a handsfree pumping bra (i like the bustier kind best) will allow you to work uninterrupted while pumping so maybe you could squeeze in a 3rd. In the beginning I wasn't getting enough milk so I'd pump in the evening or set the alarm in the middle of the night and pump for 20 min at the computer or reading a magazine and go back to bed. i also made sure to pump every morning (weekends too) after the first morning feed when your supply is highest. that helped to give me enough to cover the low supply days i might have during the week.
  • Options
    I o nly pump twice while at work becuas eo f time and logistic issues- however, just have more pump sessions when you are home.  I feed mine from one boob in the AM before work, then pump the other side; then pump at 10:30 or so, then at 2:30 or so, then feed her when I get home (4:30-5:30).  Then I eithe rpump before bed or at midnight- waking up Sucks, but it's how I maintain!
    Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"