Pennsylvania Babies

Solids

So next month at the pedi we are going to talk about starting foods. While I am completely open to the idea of jarred food (and this may be the best option for us with me going back to work and with a DH who travels a lot) I'm curious about making my own purees for her.

So my questions are.. if you made your own purees ..

* How time consuming is it?

* What resources did you use to find out more information?

Thanks!

Re: Solids

• I've made a few things. Sweet Potatoes, Avacado, Bananas, Peas and Green Beans. I just use a blender! The Peas and Green Beans are the steamable bags that come in the frozen food aisle. I just add water. I used to add BM, but since I've stopped BFing, I just use water. What I've made so far isn't hard at all. I do buy a lot of the Gerber jars though just b/c sometimes it's easiest just to open one up, and I have no idea how to make Squash and it's his fav!

www.wholesomebabyfoods.com

or

www.babyfood101.com

are both awesome!

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • I made my own purees and it was fun! ?Plus, you save lots of money. ?Its not super time consuming, but its much easier when you plan to make the food when the baby is napping, or when you have someone to watch them. ?My son was an early mover, so if i waited until naptime, or when my DH could watch him, it made it much easier. ?I made everything up until he was ready to transition to finger type foods. ?We started with sweet potatoes and butternut squash i believe, but i also made avacado, green beans, peas (though he was not a fan), pears, peaches, apples, plums...and so on. ?Its great in the summer because you can get fruit and veggies much cheaper, especially doing the road side stands or Roots. ?

I primarily used the website: wholesomebabyfood.com. ?When i froze the food i made, i just froze it first in ice cube trays, then transfered it to freezer bags when everything was nice and frozen. ?You may also want to find out about introducing yogurt. ?We used the Yobaby drinkable yogurt and mixed it in with his single grain oatmeal cereal. ?Good luck!?

• Loading the player...
  • also, i know that we did not start cereal for Eli until 6 months, and then other solids until 7 and 8 months. ?i was exclusively breastfeeding up until then. ?then for us breastfeeding was still the primary food source until 10-11 months. ?good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"