Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

If not Cow's Milk then....

Soy Mlik? Rice Milk? What else is there for a toddler to drink each day?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: If not Cow's Milk then....

• Options
    I would look into goat's milk. I know it sounds strange, but I think it's a really good option (I don't KNOW that, but I think that's the case).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    there is a hemp milk discussion on 6-12 right now.  Look for where Adamwife pages Kelbrian.  I guess hemp milk is higher in fat but tastes icky
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Rice milk doesn't have enough fat or protein.

Goat's milk, soy milk, hemp milk.

• Options

Rice milk does not have enough fat or nutrients in it for a growing toddler. It's not recommended to give it daily to children under the age of four, I believe. Soy milk freaks me out because of the estrogen and the suspicion of it causing earlier sexual development.

We are considering using hemp milk. It contains more essential fatty acids than any other 'milk' source, it is a complete protein and therefore more easily digestible, it contains 46% of your daily amount of calcium in an 8oz glass (at least in the Living Harvest brand), and it contains all ten essential amino acids.

ETA: There is also goat milk, which is more gentle on the digestive system than cow milk. I took care of a little girl who could not tolerate cow milk but happily drank goat milk.

• Options

imageBrookie-Cookie:
    there is a hemp milk discussion on 6-12 right now.  Look for where Adamwife pages Kelbrian.  I guess hemp milk is higher in fat but tastes icky

Just the brand she's using, IMO. 

• Options
    my kids drink soy milk (well sawyer is 1/2ed now). aidan drinks light soy now that she is past 2 and sawyer drinks the regular. sawyer actually can't drink milk (found that out through many formulas), but i switched aidan one time when she had the flu and never turned back. i love it. i love the benefits and i love that they love it.
  • Options

i wish i could find the article i read about hemp milk and how your body doesnt fully absorb all the nutrients offered.  it could have been bogus though..not sure

ds is on soy... i feel confident in the information my pedi and nutrionist gave me.  i am always researching other options and keeping my mind open though. 

• Options
    imageRenee070806:

i wish i could find the article i read about hemp milk and how your body doesnt fully absorb all the nutrients offered.  it could have been bogus though..not sure

ds is on soy... i feel confident in the information my pedi and nutrionist gave me.  i am always researching other options and keeping my mind open though. 

Actually, soy milk is considered to be the type that can't be fully absorbed because it contains phytic acid, which hemp milk does not. It's considered an 'anti-nutrient,' because it can cause problems with absorbing calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.  

• Options
    we use soy milk and DD loves it
  • Options
    We use Vanilla soy.  He guzzles it down.
  • Options
    MeesheMeeshe member
    We do a combo of plain soy and plain rice.  About 75% soy to 25% rice (to cut down a bit on the soy because of the estrogen concern).  They are both calcium and vitamin fortified.
  • Options
    DS has a dairy allergy so we have been looking for alternatives.  Almond milk was shown to us to be the most comparable to breastmilk.  As long as the child is not showing any signs of a nut allergy, almond milk it supposed to be very nutritious and easy to digest.  So far we're still working on it with DS.  He hasn't had any reaction, but is still getting used to the new taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"