High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Does an OB ever lift bedrest?

Once you are put on bedrest, does the OB ever take you off?  Well, I mean if you are term then I would expect the bedrest to be lifted, but I mean early.  I had a bout of preterm labor about 2 weeks ago.  When I got to L&D for monitoring, I wasn't really contracting but had more of an irritable uterus.  I was dehydrated when I went in, and after drinking water and laying on my left side, things got better.   It wasn't until they did an internal check to find my cervix was softening that things seemed more serious.  I was put on Procardia and on modified bedrest.  Well, I had a reaction to the procardia, and was taken off it and was told to got to L&D if I felt contractions.  Well, I have been off meds for about 3 days with no cramps or contractions.  I had an ultrasound last week that measured my cervix at 4.9.  So, everything seems pretty good!  I have an appointment tomorrow with the OB to do another internal to see if I've had any changes.  If my appointment goes well tomorrow (i.e. no change) and everything seems ok, do you think he will take me off bedrest?  I am just wondering.  I'm finding even modified bedrest extremely hard with a 2 year old - however, I will do whatever the dr says to keep my little guy cooking!  I guess I will find out tomorrow, but I just curious if anyone had bedrest lifted.  Thanks!
Baby #1: 19 cycles, failed IUI, and 1 + IVF 3-5-07
Baby #2: 12 cycles, 1 failed FET, natural miracle but m/c at 9 weeks then another natural miracle that stuck! 9-30-09

TTC #3 - 4 cycles - no BFP yet!

Re: Does an OB ever lift bedrest?

• Options

Almost 3 weeks ago, I was having contractions and was 2 cm dilated. After a couple nights in the hospital, I was sent home on strict bedrest and nifedipine/terbutaline.

I'm now only 1 cm dilated. I go in for monitoring twice a week, and have anywhere from 0 to 3 contractions in the 20 minutes I'm there.

Even though I'm doing pretty well, the doctor hasn't lifted any restrictions. I have no way of knowing what your doc will tell you, though...I'm just offering up my story to help you guess!

Good luck, and keep that LO cooking!

• Options
    Funny you posted this; I was just coming on this board to announce I'm officially off bed rest as of this afternoon. I've had a high-risk pregnancy in a few different aspects, although none of which actually involved preterm labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on bedrest for preterm labor and once I got a little further, around 32 weeks, the doctor started giving me more privilieges and activity.  They moved me up slowly.  Unfortunately for me, once I started moving more I ended up back in L&D much more dilated, but I went home, got in bed and made it to term, but the plan was to slowly get me off bedrest.  I would imagine they would try to take you off slowly so you make sure nothing happens instead of just all of a sudden going back to your old routine.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    My dr had me on bedrest once and took me off after about 2 or 3 weeks when i hadn't progressed any more. she still had me to light duty at home and pelvic rest but i was allowed to go to work, grocery shop, etc. i did get landed bedrest again a few weeks after that when my internals showed that my cervix was changing again though and they kept me on it until 34 wks.
  • Options
    I've been on bed rest for 12 weeks now and Friday is my freedom day. I'll be 36 weeks! Granted he doesn't want me running a marathon but I'm allowed to resume light duty - walking, grocery shopping, going in the car, etc.
    mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"