Multiples

Heart murmur while carrying twins/triplets, anyone??

I saw my peri today & found out that I have a heart murmur. She said it's pretty common in  women carrying twins (or those carrying multiples in general, I would assume).

She also said not to panic and that we'd check again in two weeks. More likely than not, I'll have an eco-cardiogram just to verify that it's nothing more than a pregnancy induced condition.

Anyone else??

Re: Heart murmur while carrying twins/triplets, anyone??

• I hadn't heard of it being pregnancy induced, but I was born with a heart murmur and had no problems with carrying my twins. Hope you get good news on the eco!!
  • Hi Kiki,

The same thing just happened to me. My OB found the murmur and said it is common in multiple pregnancies (I've never had heart problems before this).  She sent me for an echo two weeks ago.  The echo is basically an ultrasound of your heart where they check if there is anything wrong in addition to the murmur. 

My echo looked good except for the murmur.  I have a follow up visit with the OB this week and will ask her if the murmur will go away once I have the babies.

Hope that helps!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is good that your OB is following up with an echo to be sure (they are really easy & nothing to worry about ) but murmurs can occur in pregnancy because of the increased blood volume flowing through the heart. Try not to worry & GL with the echo!
  • I have had a murmur my whole life and was monitored while I was pregnant but I had no issues from it.  Good luck!
  • Hi there.  I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome many years ago and it hasn't affected my pregnancy as I had surgery to correct it and it's an electrical conduction problem.  However, just had an echo on Friday to rule out cardiomyopathy and other heart pump issues as I had gained 14 lbs in a week (obviously not normal swelling).  I have had a mitral valve prolapse/heart murmur since I was diagnosed with WPW, but my echo also picked up tricuspid valve regurgitation as well.  The echo tech said it was normal with pregnancy due to all the extra blood flow (especially with multiples).  So just wanted you to know what they said, but I think it's certainly something to get checked out.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"