North Carolina Babies

NBR - Question for those who Blog (Long)

I also started a second blog this week as a way to gather in one place pics and links to all of the things I like.  I may make this blog public, but have not decided yet.  My question is this...Do you put pictures taken from another person's blog, website, etc.on your blog as long as you give them credit? If I am the only one reading the blog and it isn't public, does this even matter? I had some pics of my favorite flowers that I got from google images, but then I read something on blogger that said the following about using web images: 

If you choose to 'Add an Image from the Web' using the image upload feature in Blogger, you shouldn't use an image location that is hosted at someone else's expense without their permission. Sometimes this is referred to as 'stealing bandwidth' because every time your blog loads, the image is loaded from their server, and this person likely incurs an expense.

Before you put an image in your blog, keep in mind that some images are protected as intellectual property through copyright. This means that the creator has sole legal rights to their works and may not want you copying and displaying them. If you're unsure whether or not an image is copyrighted, it's best not to risk it. However, there are places that make it easier for you to find images you're allowed to use:

Sorry this is so long!  I'm new at the blogging thing!

Re: NBR - Question for those who Blog (Long)

• I have posted proofs from Natalie's photos sessions I purchased and gave credit to the photography studio. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • yes, always.  any image, info, recipe, whatever always gets linked back to it's rightful, original owner.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Loading the player...
  • imageuncharch7:
    yes, always.  any image, info, recipe, whatever always gets linked back to it's rightful, original owner.

as long as I do this, will I not need to get permission from the person?  I was just concerned about the whole "stealing bandwidth" thing that blogger mentioned...

• Stealing bandwidth means you are linking to their image on their server instead of downloading it and hosting it on your own. ?It has little to do with the actual copyright issue, it is a separate thing. ?It can 1) slow down their own webpage because you are using their server each time yours loads or 2) cause them to have to pay more to host because some hosts have levels set for activity and once you go over them, you have to pay more.?

If you want to use an image, it is best to ask permission, but if not, host it yourself and credit the original owner.?

• imagetarheelbaby08:

imageuncharch7:
    yes, always.  any image, info, recipe, whatever always gets linked back to it's rightful, original owner.

as long as I do this, will I not need to get permission from the person?  I was just concerned about the whole "stealing bandwidth" thing that blogger mentioned...

If you use a picture from someone else, you are using their bandwidth. My friend has a wedding blog that was really popular, and she had to pay for a photobucket premium account because her bandwitdh kept getting exceeded. I think most of that was from people linking images on their blog from her photobucket.

I usually save the picture in my photobucket, then link from there with credit.  That way I know I won't lose the picture if they move it plus using my own bandwitdh.

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • imagetarheelbaby08:

imageuncharch7:

Evans answered this better than I could, but the way around the whole bandwidth thing is to save the pic to your computer first.

Some of the girls on WC have had issues with all of this (bandwidth, copyright, etc.) and basically what I've read is that the owner may ask you to delete the image but most people don't have issues with it unless it's a bandwidth issue... if it gets to this point though, most likely their whole site has a lot of images on it contributing to the problem as well.

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"