1st Trimester

Blood Cord Registry

Just curious. Does anyone know how much it is to have a blood cord registry?

Re: Blood Cord Registry

• It is free if you donate it publicly (as if you are donating blood), but it is not stored specifically for you. If you store for you, it is pricey upfront and then their is a monthly or annual fee for storage.

There was an intersting Chicago Tribune article on this last week, if you are interested. https://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-cord-blood-19-jun19,0,2094780.story

• a lot! Just don't remember exactly how much
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't quote me on this, since I'm remembering from my first pregnancy, but I believe it was over 2k (about $2500) initially and then there was a monthly storage fee. 

As the pp mentioned, if you donate it, it's free.  You have to sign up for that in advance, which I didn't realize until it was too late, but I'm hoping to do that this time.  I just saw My Sister's Keeper (after reading the book awhile back) and on one hand it makes me want to store it, but it's just SO much money. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lpstllpstl member
    It ranges from about $1200 - $1700 for collection and about $100 a year for storage. If you pay everything upfront (storage for 18 years) there is usually a discount.
  • I was just given a pamphlet on that today from the nurse at my doc's office. It said it costs about $1800 and they want $125 annually to store it. The nurse said a lot of people don't do it because it's so expensive. HTH!
  • just an fyi (as I've been thru this already);  you wouldnt be able to use the cord blood on this child--maybe other children, maybe not.  The science just isnt there yet.  It's more beneficial to medical science to just donate.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • lpstllpstl member

imageWorcbride:
    just an fyi (as I've been thru this already);  you wouldnt be able to use the cord blood on this child--maybe other children, maybe not.  The science just isnt there yet.  It's more beneficial to medical science to just donate.

I'm not sure what you've been through, but there are a multitude of conditions cord blood can be used to treat now. Leukemia being one example: https://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/22/2265

• imagelpstl:

imageWorcbride:
    just an fyi (as I've been thru this already);  you wouldnt be able to use the cord blood on this child--maybe other children, maybe not.  The science just isnt there yet.  It's more beneficial to medical science to just donate.

I'm not sure what you've been through, but there are a multitude of conditions cord blood can be used to treat now. Leukemia being one example: https://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/22/2265

actually that's not tru--if the child has leukemia, the cord blood will not benefit that child at all cuz of the leukemia.  Leukemia is actually one of the top conditions that the child cannot use his/her own cord blood

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"