Success after IF
Options

Bottle feeding question

Okay so I give Trig bottled breastmilk mixed with neosure. That's what my pedi wants for him to get. Not that it matters, but here's the issue:

Trig wants bottles that are relatively full - when it gets down to the last ounce or so, he plays with the bottle but won't suck. Then, when I give him a full bottle, he eats again. it's like he only wants to eat full bottles. Anyone encounter this? I know, strange issue...but I don't want to waste that last ounce of breastmilk!

Re: Bottle feeding question

• Options
    I remember actually crying over having to toss breast milk they didn't drink.  I think I was practically force feeding those bottles to them!  ;)  Maybe if you give him a little break - burp, diaper change, cuddle - then try again, he might finish the last bit?  I'd keep at it.
  • Options
    If you can get your pedi to OK - see if you can feed 2 bottles at a time - one with the breastmilk - one with the neosure.  Then, if he doesn't want the last ounce of the bm bottle - you could dump it into the neosure bottle, so he'll get some of it at least.  Or - you could save that ounce - and give it to him first at the next feeding (but you can't do this if it's been mixed with the neosure - it's only OK to save pure breastmilk in the fridge and offer it one more time, at the next feeding.)
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Since we supplement at almost every feeding, what we do (on recommendation from the NICU) is give the pumped milk first and then add whatever formula we think they should get as a top off.  That way if anything is wasted, it is the formula.

Does that make sense for your situation?  Just thinking about the fact that you are using the NeoSure for calories, not because you don't make enough milk. 

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"