Babies on the Brain
Options

XP: Baby vomitus....

So DS vomited right after finishing his before bed feeding, full on projectile, shot across the couch, soaked himself, myself and the bobby pillow... not just spit up, definitely vomit.  He has now done this 3 times in the past week now, although one time was yesterday a few hours after his surgery (he had a hernia repaired) so I attributed it just to that, but now I am beginning to think it might be something else.  I plan on calling the pedi tomorrow.

For now, my question is should I give him pedialyte the next time I feed him or just continue with EBM?  He has never had anything other than BM, no formula, pedialyte, juice or water.  Is 2.5 months to young for fluids other than BM? Anybody else been in this situation?  What did your pedi say? FWIW,  he is sleeping now, went down like usual after I finally got him cleaned up.... seemed perfectly happy. 
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP: Baby vomitus....

• Options
    I would continue feeding him just the BM. If he continues to vomit, call the on-call pedi and ask about the pedialyte. Also keep an eye on him for signs of dehydrations. A lot of times vomiting looks a lot worse than it is, but you should definately call in the morning.
    Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

• Options

BM has all he needs - as long as he is drinking, just let him nurse as often as you can.  My daughter had really bad reflux and our ped said just keep offering, give it to them when they want it - and they don't need anything extra

Sorry about the barfies - that is no fun, especially when they get so startled! I would def. call the ped though and let them know! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Colin was in the hospital with RSV when he was 8 weeks old and was given Pedialite with each feeding/instead of a couple of feedings.

If you think he is getting dehydrated I would give it a try. I hope he feels better!

• Options
    Thanks ladies, that's kind of what I thought... I'll continue with the BM only.  He spits up after every single feeding, sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot... but this was definitely full on vomitus!  The other day it happened when he was sitting in the swing and when I picked him up finally there was literally a puddle underneath him in the swing.  DH came to the rescue tonight in the midst of it and afterward commented that it looked like the marshmallow man had exploded on us because it was all curdled.  The thing is he continues to act completely normal afterward so I haven't got "that" concerned yet. 
  • Options
    imagemrs_kelly1014:

Colin was in the hospital with RSV when he was 8 weeks old and was given Pedialite with each feeding/instead of a couple of feedings.

If you think he is getting dehydrated I would give it a try. I hope he feels better!

If he is not dehydrated it can cause more vomiting.  I would just call the pedi.  He is young for pedilyte. 

• Options
    imageMysterious_wife:
    imagemrs_kelly1014:

If he is not dehydrated it can cause more vomiting.  I would just call the pedi.  He is young for pedilyte. 

This was my concern with giving pedialyte... I feel like it would give him an upset tummy because he has never had it before and it's so sweet..

• Options
    imageKariChadDora:
    imageMysterious_wife:
    imagemrs_kelly1014:

This was my concern with giving pedialyte... I feel like it would give him an upset tummy because he has never had it before and it's so sweet..

I agree to keep with BF unless he gets dehydrated, but just so you know, they do make an unflavored version of Pedialyte (just in case you ever need it in the future). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"