Pregnant after a Loss

Those with mthfr, have you flown?

This may be one of those "are you seriously asking this question" questions.  Sorry in advance if it is.  I have compound hetero mthfr and am on extra vitamins and baby aspirin to treat it.  I'm supposed to flying cross-country at the end of July and I'm now wondering if that's such a smart idea given that being in planes increases the average person's risk of blood clots, and I'm clearly not the average person in this case.  I think I'm extra sensitive to this because my last m/c occured a little over a week after taking the same cross-country flight. 

I have a call into my peri to get her opinion, but I'm curious what others in this situation have done. Thanks!

Re: Those with mthfr, have you flown?

• I'd definitely ask the doctor.  It's probably completely fine but with your history I'd be more worried. 

I haven't flown since being pregnant and have mthfr.  I probably would never have even thought about it causing a problem if I hadn't read this post. But it's best to be safe and ask. 

After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a single hetero mutation, but have a history of DVT's. I had one about 8 years ago, and another at 9.5 weeks with this pregnancy. I've flown twice - once about 14-15 weeks and once around 18 weeks. I just made sure to have an aisle seat and got up to pee once or twice. My doc was fine with it - I'd still ask yours though! Lots of luck.
    BFP #1: 7-26-08, natural m/c 6w4d; BFP #2: 12-6-08, natural m/c 6w5d
    BFP #3: 2-26-09; DD born 10/30/09; 7lb3oz, 20.5in!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BFP= #4: 9-8-13, hcg @ 14dpo: 507, 17dpo: 1731, doubling: 39 hours
    Found a strong hb @ 5w6d; Measuring 4 days ahead, hb of 168 @ 8w4d!
    So excited for Baby Sister! EDD: 5/24/14
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, and I'm flying again next week.  I'm hetero for MTHFR, but I also have a prothrombin mutation, which puts me at a higher risk for blood clots.  The hematologist I saw said flying is fine, I just need to make a point of getting up and walking around every couple of hours and moving and stretching my legs while I'm sitting.
  • I am also on baby aspirin and extra vitamins, and I flew at 23 weeks with no problems and/or restrictions from my Dr.

If you are on the right dosages of medicines, your blood should be as thin as an average person.

Being pregnant can increase your chance for blood clots, so make sure you pump your feet often while seated on the plane, and try to walk around a time or two if you can :)?

• i have but not while pg, i would think if anything to ease your fears you should double check with your dr. and express concern about your m/c happening after the flight. are you on any meds?
    BFP #1 May 2000 ~ Darren was born Jan 13, 2001 ~ 6lbs 2oz 191/2" ~ 39 wks due to low fluid, otherwise perfect pregnancy
    July 2004 abnormal pap, colposcopy and LEEP procedure ~ paps every 3 months all normal for 1 year
    2006 all clear to start TTC
    HSG Nov 2007 ~ all normal except mild left tube blockage
    BFP #2 Dec 2007 EDD sept 3 ~ missed m/c ~ Feb 14 2008 ~ 9wk 2d D&C
    BFP #3 Apr 2008 EDD Dec 10 ~ ectopic ~ May 2008 ~ 5wk 2d ~ emergency lap surgery, lost left tube
    BFP #4 Jul 2008 EDD May 5 ~ missed m/c ~ Aug 2008 ~ 5wk 2d D&C - trisomy 16
    RPL panel Aug 2008 ~ diagnosed with compound hetero MTHFR
    BFP #5 Nov 2008 EDD Jul 31 ~ blighted Ovum ~ Dec 2008 ~ 4wk 3d ~ natural m/c at home for my birthday
    BFP #6 Feb 2009 EDD Oct 15 ~ 4wk 3d ~ chemical pregnancy ~ Mar 2008
    BFP #7 May 18 2009 ~ Gabriel Michael ~ Jan 19, 2010 ~ 7lbs 2oz 21"
    TTC again since Jan 2011
    BFP #8 Jun 2011 EDD Jan 20 ~ 5wk 6d ~ missed m/c ~ D&C
    July - Hysterscopy removed some polyps, all clear for IUI with clomid
    Aug-Oct - IUI - with Clomid all BFN
    Nov-Jan - IUI - with femara and trigger = BFN
    back to TTC naturally on our own hoping for another miracle.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
    Blog
  • Wow, I hope you guys don't mind me butting in.  I'm not PG but I was wondering this exact same thing today.  It occurred to me that I was on a plane right before both of my m/c's.  I can't help but think that maybe it is related now that I have been diagnosed with both copies of MTHFR.  I am planning to ask my RE about this but I'm dying to know if anyone's doc has mentioned this to be a risk.
    4/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    8/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    3/09 Polyp removed and dx MTHFR (both copies)
    6 Clomid cycles, all BFN
    5/09 IUI#1 with Clomid=BFN
    6/09 IUI#2 with Clomid=BFN
    8/09 IUI#3 with Clomid=BFN
    IVF#1 = BFN
    IVF#2 = BFN
    IVF#3 ET 2 Grade A blasts 11/16/11
    Beta #1: 485
    Beta #2: 2,495
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.