Baby Names

Two Middle Names?

I've scrolled on here a ways back, didn't see this question. Are any of you considering 2 middle names? Why or why not? How does that work IRL since most forms have room for only one?

Thanks!

Re: Two Middle Names?

• No, I don't see the point in having 2 middle names.?
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:
    No, I don't see the point in having 2 middle names.

ditto.

• Loading the player...
  • We are considering it.  We have our boy name picked out, but both my dad and my grandpa are having health issues, so we were thinking of adding a 2nd middle name to include them in the name.  It would be Robert which is my grandpa's fn and my dad's mn.
  • Having two middle names is better than having three, but worse than having one

I'm not really into it 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am not, just because I am having a hard enough time thinking of one middle name. But, my brother has 2 middle names and has loved it his whole life.
  • We would consider more than one middle name (when the time comes, that is) as it is very much in keeping with the naming tradition on my husband's side.

ETA: While uncommon to some degree in the US, this is far from an uncommon practice, e.g. - my Belgian DH has 3 mns, MIL has 4 mns--standard procedure amongst a particular ilk of Continental Europeans. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't considering it because it causes so many headaches.

Most forms have space for one middle name, so the other one is usually left out on the drivers license, diplomas, resumes, test forms, medical records, etc.

Because of the way our culture expects our names to be, people never use their 2nd middle name because they never have a place to put it.

• I would definitely consider two middle names, I don't see why it would be bad. Sure there will always be people that say WHY give you child 2 mn's but in that case I say why give your child a mn at all. All the kid really needs is a first name...

Anyway, I have two middle names and it has never ever been a problem to me. I will happily give my child 2 mn's if I find a number of names that I like and that go well together.

ETA: for what it's worth though I have a 4 letter first name, a 3 letters middle name and a 5 letter middle name so eventhough I have 3 names my full name is not very long. All my names fit on my passport and drivers licence and other than that I don't find that I (or anyone else) ever use my full name

• imagelisa5201:

Having two middle names is better than having three, but worse than having one

I'm not really into it?

?

haha well said!?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:
    No, I don't see the point in having 2 middle names.
    this
  • I agree...I don't see the point of having 2 mn's...
  • Here's my 2 cents. I always say this, but it's because it's true. It's a big pain to have two middle names. I have two and then when I married, I didn't want to lose my maiden name, but wanted to take DH's name.

MY name went from (example) Jennifer Maria Grace Smith to:

Jennifer Maria Grace Smith Jones 

Except the last names are long and ethnic. Yeah, annoying. I would have had to go to court to delete one of my middle names and it wasn't a big enough deal to me. People ALWAYS comment on how long my name is on my drivers license and how they have to look to the second line to find my last name. I recommend not bringing on this headache unless you have a really good reason. 

• imageEmmaRain:

Most forms have space for one middle name, so the other one is usually left out on the drivers license, diplomas, resumes, test forms, medical records, etc.

I have two middle names and they are both on ALL of the important documents that this poster mentions.

I am not into giving two middle names for no reason but mine were given to me to honor both of grandmothers and I'm very proud of them.

• ctanactana member
    I was a nanny for two children in college and the family was from the South. Each girl had two MNs and I thought it charming and sweet. They were family names and their names flowed beautifully. Of course it worked because their last name (Moore) was rather short.  That allowed it to be less of a mouthful...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We'll have two middle names for our kid (Joan Virginia for a girl or James Carlin for a boy) b/c we plan on fostering/adopting for any subsequent kidlings and we wanted to honor certian people with the names.

Hubby has a second middle name, and the first is just the one that appears on most forms.

• I don't care for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"