Babies: 0 - 3 Months

JAWMIN

Just saw your post in the solids thread.  Is childhood obesity linked at all to solids before 4 months?  Jonah is a big boy too and I'm hesitant to start the solids because of that but he's just SO hungry all the time.  He still eats every 2 hours on the dot.  His weight just makes me uneasy and I was curious what you found?

Re: JAWMIN

• JAWMINJAWMIN member

I don't think starting solids at 4 months is linked to obesity, but EBFing for 6 months is linked to preventing childhood obesity. It has to do with the way the fat is stored in the baby.

I've heard of pediatricians recommending starting solids at 4 months for big hungry babies. I think it fills them faster with fewer calories than formula. BUT I haven't done a lot of research on that. If I were you, I'd research it, but I think you'd be okay to start. You might want to ask your pedi first though.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Okay gotcha. I'm going to do some research online and see what I can find.  Although momquixote has already done some for me lol. 

How much does your DS weigh?  I weighed Jonah two weeks ago and my scale said 16 lbs...curious to see the actual weight on Monday.

• Loading the player...
  • JAWMINJAWMIN member
    DH weighed him on his work scale yesterday, and he was 18 lbs (but I think the scale rounds up). At his appt he was 16lbs13oz (85th percentile). I'd say he's 17-18 lbs now.

• Yep sounds like he and Jonah are about the same size.  It's so crazy....I love how chunky he is but I would have never thought my 6 lb baby would be this big this fast!

• JAWMINJAWMIN member
    imageexcitedforlittleone:

Yep sounds like he and Jonah are about the same size.  It's so crazy....I love how chunky he is but I would have never thought my 6 lb baby would be this big this fast!

Yeah, W started out in the 30th percentile! It's crazy. But I wouldn't worry about his weight yet. He's still a baby. It's when they start eating junk food and fast food that you need to worry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"