Breastfeeding

Has anyone had success increasing their supply

after it was already established? I'm not even sure how to word this. I've been pumping for almost 9 months now. I took Reglan in the beginning to increase my supply and stopped when I had a freezer full of milk (still pump 4x a day). Well last month my period returned and now my freezer stash is almost gone. I'm not pumping anywhere near what my son eats in a day. As much as I hate pumping and can't wait to stop, I'm not ready yet.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone had a dip in their supply and was able to get it back this late in the game? Am I crazy to even want to? LOL!

Re: Has anyone had success increasing their supply

• At 4 months pp I was down to pumping 8 ounces a day.  I have successfully increased my supply back to 24 ounces by taking a prescription of Reglan and pumping on a strict schedule.  My DS was sleeping through the night so I started getting up at around 3:00 a.m. and pumping.  I also eat oatmeal every day and drink tons of water.  Don't lose hope - everyone told me that I should just wean DS but I was persistent and thankfully was able to get my supply back up.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much!!

• Loading the player...
  • Glad I could help!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd try domperidone.  Jack Newman has great success with it (as have I with several clients) in helping mothers with low supply increase supply.  The side effects are pretty much nil...basically the one side effect you will see is that it makes you make more milk.  You can order from an online pharmacy (the one I linked to is safe).  I have seen it work miracles for several mothers with low supply.  Jack Newman is happy to answer emails if you have any questions about it.  He is a pediatrician, and runs the breastfeeding clinic at Women and Children's Hospital in Toronto.  his website is   drjacknewman.com

Domperidone is more effective when you take it with fenugreek and blessed thistle. 

• The only way I was able to increase it after a few months was to take Domperidone (a drug in the same family as Reglan).  I tried all the herbs, oatmeal, increased nursing (like every 2 hours all day and night) and the Rx was the only thing that made a difference.
  • Hmm, I guess everyone's bodies are different but I had this issue not due to getting my period cause I didnt' get that till 15 mths post-partum. DD went on a nursing strike at 12 mths and I wasn't ready to quit yet and I know she wasn't. It took her a week to nurse again and in the meantime my supply went WAY DOWN. I was so scared she'd be ready to nurse finally and I would be all out of milk. Well I took Fenugreek and that alone after maybe 2-3 days brought  my supply back after pumping probably every 3-4 hours or so. I took it for maybe 1 or 2 wks and that kept me going till she was 16 mths old when I finally stopped. Don't think it's foolish to want to increase your supply at this point. If your not ready then don't stop. I didn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"