Georgia Babies
Options

Doodle's 3 year apt/stats...kinda sad

So yesterday Doodle had her 3 year well visit.  She LOVES going to see the Dr and yesterday was just the same. Fortunately there were no shots, so she still loves to go see the dr ;-)  Anyways, she was so proud that she went pee pee in the cup.  Her height is 39 1/4" (90%) and weight 39lbs (95%).  She grew over 3" this past year and she only gained 1 lb since her last sick visit 6 months ago.  All in all, the dr was pleased.  However,since she's over 2 they no calculate BMI...her BMI is 18, which is technically normal/average for an adult, but for a child she is considered obsese.  She has always been a big girl and always at the 90%+ for both height and weight.  Her dad and myself are both overweight as well...so this really isn't a surprise. The dr was like, we are not talking a diet here...I just want you to know you are establishing her eating habits and likely her weight for the rest of her life RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.  it freaks me out, cause I obviously don't know how to establish healthy eating habits for myself.  I've got to do something for both of us...NOW.  She said to try and limit milk some, since doodle drinks 5+ glasses a day and push water more.  Also to choose heathly raw snacks, veggies and fruits, instead of crackers, cheese, cookies (duh). 

On another note, her vocabulary is outrageous.  Dr was thoroughly impressed with her cognition and comprehension based on a ton of quesetion she asked danielle.  However, within minutes of talking to her she noticed an extra air sound on Doodle's pronunciation of S's and CH sounds.  Like in shoes, which, spider, etc.  We are going to the ENT tomorrow to have him check her out and perhaps it's an anotomical problem, like enlarged adneoids or perhaps tonsils or something obstructing and thus causes wierd sounds...or perhaps it's something with her speech and we may need to go to a speech pathologist. 

All in all, she's healthy and fine and happy as can be. I know none of this is devastatin news, not even bad news really.  I'm thankful and blessed for my sweet big girl.  However, it was an eye opener...one that momma has got to deal with.  Just wanted to share.  Sorry so long (like usual).

You can see pics from her bday party at my website too...

danielleowens.shutterfly.com

Re: Doodle's 3 year apt/stats...kinda sad

• Options

Aw, yay Doodle. ?She's healthy and that's great. ?

Emily, I know its scary. ?I don't think I make good choices for me either, especially when it comes to snacking. ?I have to force myself to drink water. ?These are all things our kids pick up on, even when we do our best to give them better options, if not ourselves. ??

I am learning that fat or skinny, you just need to be healthy. ? A colleague of Nicos is stick thin, but very out of shape and unhealthy. ? She eats nothing but junk food. ? She just doesn't gain weight. ? On the other hand, I have friends who are a larger size than I am, but can run a marathon. ?I couldn't run if my life depended on it.?

I hope you all find a good answer to this. ??

• Options

I would have not known how to react if I hear that feedback as well. The good thing about it though is that you can work on it. i think it's probably shocking and (could be) hurtful. At least to me that's how I would have initially perceived it. But in the end, the Dr means well and is trying to drive you guys to a healthier choice and lifestyle. I mean he's encouraging you to eat good food so that's not a bad recommendation at all.

Hooray on Doodle's vocabulary! She must love reading.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    She is doing great--look at the bright side--you have a heads up and can change her habits before it becomes a problem.  And as for making her sounds--it is developmentally appropriate for her not to make them yet, but I don't think people realize you can have her evaluated by your local school's speech pathologist if you are concerned.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't feel so bad......she is doing great.  I also struggle with getting veggies to SC.  I am TRYING to make sure she gets a total of 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day - we have issues with constipation and it makes a huge difference.  When I grew up I never drank water, so I want her to like it and make sure she has at least one full sippy a day....some days it works, others oh well. 

My brother and mom had crazy fast metabolisms and were skinny as a rail and ate whatever they wanted without worry about weight.  Well they both died in early 50s of heart problems.  Seriously if I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce, I would have totally been eating junk also........not to be drepressing I just think its good that they caught it now and her BMI shows there is room for improvement so you can work on it.  Trust me I know its very hard - I struggle myself, but you can do it.  Just try to make a point to give her 5 a day and if she has any bread/crackers, make sure they are whole grain with some fiber.

Of course we had McD's for lunch LOL.

She is so cute, be proud mama!  

• Options

Doodle is BEAUTIFUL! As long as you are telling her that (and I know you are) and helping her learn to eat as healthfully as possible then you are doing as much as you can.

While it can never hurt to have reminders to keep up with our kids' nutrition or our own (I know I need them) those BMI measurements make me mad! They don't take into account a person's build. Granted I am overweight and well aware of it and I don't say this to make excuses for myself at all. However, my Dad always comes in high with this BMI and he has hardly any fat on him. He is a thick guy..the term "big boned" definitely applies to him and he is pretty "big muscled" too. He gets so pissed every time the doctor tells him to loose 15-20 lbs to bring his BMI down..really if he did he would look sickly.

I watched the videos of Doodle dancing and she does not look overweight in the least! While working on nutrition never hurt anyone I would not worry about this at all..just keep telling that beautiful girl how gorgeous she really is!

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Options
    kepkep member

Happy Belated Birthday, DOODLE!

Emily, she is gorgeous! I am glad she is doing so well. Don't beat yourself up over her diet. We struggle to get Kate to eat anything other than her same old menu, which has hardly any fuits (does applesauce count?) and veggies. I really need to work on this.

Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"