Working Moms
Options

Moms of twins

Did you get a lot of negative comments from people when you told them you were going back to work?  I did, especially from my multiples group early on.  Even though I teach and have an awesome schedule, I couldn't believe some of the words.  My friend and I were discussing how strange it is that because you have two at once, people may think you are less likely to go back.  Needless to say, I don't really do much with the MOMs group anymore and I am so glad I went back!!

Re: Moms of twins

• Options

I actually expressed interest that I wanted to try to stay home to my family and friends and got a lot of greif for that (darned if you do darned if you don't!) 

But most of my co-workers were shocked that I came back.  And then I feel like I have to explain our situation each time someone questions me.

Isn't it funny how people feel comfortable telling you what you should or shouldn't do.....work or sah, breast or bottle, vag or c-section. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hey, where in PA are you?  I live in Lafayette Hill (Montgomery County)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AlisaSAlisaS member

I actually haven't gotten any grief for going back to work - or if I have, I have forgotten about it.

I am not sure why working vs. not working would be any different with twins vs. a single child or children of different ages.

But so many moms on the multiples board seem to complain and complain and complain about how hard their lives are and how anyone who wishes they had twins is a naive beotch, etc, I can imagine at a MOM group you would be subjected to some nastiness.

• Options

I think co-workers were shocked I came back after the twins were born.  Some thought I had quit b/c I was gone for six months (and was working from home for a couple of months before I delivered) so they were really surprised to see me back at work after such a long absence.

When I announced I was PG with #3 I think people assumed "ok, now she's REALLY not going to come back."  The thing is, I have a lot of years invested in my field and am fairly highly compensated. Paying for full time care for three children I still bring home more than child care costs.   I must admit though that somedays I wish I could use that as an excuse to quit.  Wink

It does seem to me that a lot of women in my MoM's group stay home so they have play groups set up and get together fairly often.  Obviously that's not an option for me but I've never felt any judgement around that.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    No one has really ever made a negative comment like it was "bad" that I went back to work...but most everyone asks me how do I manage it all with me working full time, DH working full time, and 2 toddlers - I always just smile and say "we make it work!"  And we do - I know I wouldn't be happy as a SAHM...I worked very hard for my career and love my job, and I think I am a better mom because of it!
  • Options

i haven't gotten any grief... not sure if it's just the area i live in, the people i associate with or what- but everyone has been supportive.  There were a few (older) people who assumed i'd stop working but were not mean or anything when i said i was going back.

i found out recently i'll be able to go back part time- which i'm thrilled about... but even when i thought i was going to be full time- nobody was jerky about it.

the area i live in is a very career focused area, though (NYC area) so that might have something to do with it.

• Options
    I went back when my twins were 4 months old- luckily the summer helped. I don't recall anyone being surprised...I know a lot of people asked what my plans were Luckily MIL b-sat for us or hubby watched them when he was on evening shift...think that deterred a lot of the comments. I HAD to go back I think I would have gone crazy as a SAHM w/ twins. I like working and as a teacher I get weekends, holidays, and summers off so I don't feel too guilty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"