D.C. Area Babies

*Weekly Check-In* Week of June 29

How is everyone? How are our brand-new Mommies and babies?

Re: *Weekly Check-In* Week of June 29

• We are doing really well. DD started her trial times at daycare this past week and goes in again today. She's doing well, although sleeping is difficult for her there.

She's a great sleeper at home - mostly only waking up once around 4 am to eat briefly and otherwise sleeping 12 hours. She's also now taking all of her naps in her crib unswaddled, which is wonderful. She is the sweetest baby and such a joy. Her giggles are infectious.

I'm wondering if she's teething, though. We have our 4 month appointment this afternoon so we'll see what her pedi says. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can't believe Xander is 19 weeks old today!  Where is time going?  Xander is sleeping 8-9 hours straight during the night with ocassional nights that he wakes up around 4 to eat.  He has rolled over once but not really interested in that since.  We are trying to get rid of his conjunctivitis which also has turned into influenza H..lovely.  It really hasn't affected his apetite or sleeping though.  He still isn't napping well or at all at daycare- argh.  We aren't really happy with our daycare situation but at this moment have no other choices that are as affordable.   I've been looking into switching jobs so I can have some more time with him but with this economy it's not the easiest time to find a new job. 

This Friday we are making the 12 hour drive up to New England to visit family so hopefully he will do well with the car ride.  I'm looking forward to showing him off to relatives but not looking forward to the exhausting car ride and not sleeping in our own bed/having a routine for the little one.  It should be an interesting week! 

Overall we are enjoying everything about being parents and are madly in love with our son.  He is such a joy in our life.  Hope everyone is doing well and has a great fourth of July weekend!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We're back to food striking DS.  He will only eat peaches, blueberries and bananas, so it's wreaking havoc on his digestive system.  It has been a week.  I'm hoping that this food strike doesn't last as long as the first one did--that one was 6 weeks long!  I'm frustrated because when we went to the pedi about that one, they told us to just start cooking with extra fats and that if he's hitting his developmental milestones to not worry about it.  Well, unless I'm going to start frying his peaches, blueberries, and bananas, he's not getting any of that extra fat.  I cook other stuff, but it just ends up on the floor and not in his mouth.

Not good when you have a 19 lb 14 month old.  Sad

I guess that's kind of a venty update, but I'm frustrated this morning.

• I've been having so much fun with DD this last week.  I'm home for the summer now, so we are getting tons of mommy/daughter time.  She is getting so big and is getting so independent.  My IL are coming to visit this upcoming weekend and I'm excited for them to see her and all the things she can do now.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Agrippa - I have not even started to research solids, so please forgive me if this is not-a-good-thing-to-do, but to add more fats to his fruits of choice, could you blend them with whole milk to make a sort of smoothie?

Me and the kiddo are doing just fine. Last week, the temperature and humidity hit me pretty hard and my feet finally started to swell (so gross! no one warned me how disturbing it would be to see your own feet so monsterous!).

We started our child birth classes a few weeks ago and I'm really feeling good right now about this whole birthin' a baby thing. A friend of mine, due in July, asked me if I was starting to get terrified yet and I'm really not. I still have two months to freak out though, of course.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sleep - Going relatively well. She still cries 10-45 minutes but at least she's going to sleep on her own. Wakes up early though - between 4:30 and 6am.  I hear babies who sleep 12 hours and nap exist, but I've never seen one.

Solids - She'll begrudgedly open her mouth sometimes for apple sauce - that's about it.  Kid doesn't like to eat solids.  Three teeth.

Allergies - Still battlling the eczema.  We're back to the steroid creams b/c it's the only thing that works for flareups.  Went to the allergist on Friday.  Blood test for common allergens back in a week.

Crawling like crazy.  She's quick.

Got an ergo b/c she's outgrown her bjorn.  It's great - she even fell asleep in it while I was carrying her around.

• Went to the GTG this weekend and Nicholas had a blast but he's come down with something and is feeling icky.

He's STTN for about a week now and I'm crossing my fingers that it lasts but not holding my breath.

Just this past week he learned to count to 3 out loud and can put up his finger on one. I got him some of those fat crayons and he's scribbling on paper but if I could only get him to stop eating the crayons and play-doh it would be great!

• We've had a pretty rough week or 2. DD has been getting up practically every hour at night. I can barely put one foot in front of another, I'm so tired.

We Ferberize the weekend of July 17th, I've got the book and I'm just gonna do it.

Happy upcoming 4th to everyone!

• Things are going fairly well around here. Sophie had a rough day yesterday, with lots of sporadic feedings, but she followed it with a relatively solid night of sleep (it's all relative, right?). We're trying to give her more tummy time these days, but are mixing up how we're doing it, since flat surfaces make her much more frustrated much more quickly; she's slowly building up the length of time she'll tolerate it.

We're headed out to California next week for a week for BIL's wedding. We're excited about it, but a little nervous as well. Both a little worried about dealing with DH's grandmother, since she's really judgmental and stubborn, so can't wait to see what advice she comes out with... but I'm trying not to borrow trouble yet.

• I have just compled my first 10 days as a new mom! Overall, it's been pretty good with a few ups and downs. I ended up having to have an unplanned C-section. So, I have been trying to recover from that while being a mom to Aliya. Fortuntely, DH has his own business and work is slow right now so we've been able to share the tasks of parenthood.

BFing is going well all things considered. I have to give a big kudos to the Holy Cross Lactation Center. They sent an LC to see me while in the hospital. I have also called their hotline a few times and I had another LC consultation last Friday. If it weren't for them, I don't think I could do it (or I would have very traumatized nipples). But now that I have 10 days under my belt things are getting better and going more smoothly.

Overall, I'm really enjoying motherhood. We are just so in love with our little girl. DH said to me last night, "sometimes I can't believe she is ours, it feels like a dream". We are just trying to cherish this time together as I know they grow so fast.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just got back from vacation (Myrtle) - it was exhausting but fun. Ben's 18 month appt is tomorrow with the dreaded MMR!
    imageimage
  • DD is smiling up a storm lately- smiling at me, her daddy and even the dogs! It's pretty darn cute. Sleeping has been an issue lately. She was doing really well for awhile- sleeping from 9-4/5 and then going back to sleep until about 7. Lately she gets up anywhere from 2-4 and then will fall back to sleep for only about 45 minutes before she is up again. I don't know what the heck is up. Napping is also an issue. I can't get her to nap in her crib for more than 20 mins, so she naps on me- sometimes it's 45 mins and other times it will be 1-2 hours. This sleep stuff is driving me bonkers!
  • Here! Today is a good day.

Manny had his frist pedi visit and he is back at his birth weight at 6 days old! The pedi was very happy about that and so were we. My milk came in for the most part yesterday so I have been a pumping machine in between feedings. Manny has his days and nights mixed up, I guess that is to be expected, but we are working on that. Mom is still here which is a good thing because I am dead tired. DH went back to work today so I am getting an idea of what it will be like to be alone and I see its going to be interesting.

• Natalie is doing great--eating, growing, and SLEEPING for 6+ hour stretches at night. DH and I feel like new people since being able to get chunks of sleep. Of course this may all change but for now, we're enjoying it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Starting my second week as a summer SAHM and having a blast!  Caitlin is crawling like crazy and seems to get into everything so our small townhouse is her personal playground.  Her favorite thing to do is crawl towards the doggie dishes, stop when I say her name and look back and smile, and then dump the water dish on the floor.  Funny how she's already playing games!

Feeding is going well - she likes pretty much everything and we're working on finger foods.  Sleep is still good.  As long as she gets at least two solid naps she'll sttn.  I used to wake up at 6 for work and now she'll wake up around 7 or 7:30 so I'm sleeping in a little.  Luckily DH still changes her in the morning so I just take over for breakfast time.  

We're leaving for my parents' home in TN on Thursday and I can't wait.  She'll be meeting a lot of my relatives for the first time and they have a boat so we'll be doing a lot of swimming.  She loves the pool and our local lake so I think she'll dig the boat :) 

• imageeeclem:

Agrippa - I have not even started to research solids, so please forgive me if this is not-a-good-thing-to-do, but to add more fats to his fruits of choice, could you blend them with whole milk to make a sort of smoothie?

Thanks for the suggestion!  Luckily, we're not having any problems with him drinking milk.  I have added another 8 oz sippy cup of milk with some Carnation Instant Breakfast to his daily routine, but it worries me that he'll get too used to drinking his calories instead of eating them.  He does love his milk!

Maybe I'll try making him some yogurt popsicles with fruit and soy protein powder or something.

He's being so finicky that he even pulled all of the blueberries out of the pancakes I made him yesterday and left all of the pancake behind!

• hi ladies,

I am doing good. I just got put on bedrest, so that sucks. But i have great friends and family that are all rallying, and i just keep telling the baby to stay and bake a little longer.i have been googling things like crazy today. Did anyone have to get steroids?

I am really enjoying watching everyone's babies growing!!!

• I posted a long update on the main DC board when someone asked how he was doing here:

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/18270320.aspx

If you don't have time to read the long update, here's a shorter version: We are still balancing making strides in his feeding therapy with gaining weight. His puking is down to 2x/week or less, but those are mostly gagging-on-food-related ones instead of the random times that they used to be (believe me, knowing when it is likely to happen is better). Weight is around 23 pounds at 25 months.

Fun stuff: He's getting really good at putting 2 words together. And is still constantly in motion. Last week, when there so many were Michael Jackson tributes going on, he started dancing to the Thriller video and it was hilarious! He loves an audience.

• imagebarkers4jmm:

Sleep - Going relatively well. She still cries 10-45 minutes but at least she's going to sleep on her own. Wakes up early though - between 4:30 and 6am.  I hear babies who sleep 12 hours and nap exist, but I've never seen one.

You have most definitely seen one - Alyssa has slept in 12 hour increments since she was 8 weeks old!

• imageDCHappy2B:

hi ladies,

I am doing good. I just got put on bedrest, so that sucks. But i have great friends and family that are all rallying, and i just keep telling the baby to stay and bake a little longer.i have been googling things like crazy today. Did anyone have to get steroids?

I am really enjoying watching everyone's babies growing!!!

I was on bed rest from week 30 on and had to get the steroid shots in the butt to help w/his lung development.  Is that what you're talking about? 

Henry is doing well.  He is crawling and cruising like a madman.  And he "talks" more and more each day, which is just too cute.

We've been doing sleep training for 11 nights now and he is still not STTN.  WTH!?!  These books all say after 3 or 4 nights, your baby will no longer wake up!  I call BS.  H is still waking up crying a good 2-3 times a night.  It breaks my heart to hear him cry.  I don't know how much more I can take.  Anyone have any advice?

• Our bundle arrived a week early on Sunday the 28th! We're home now and glad to be back on home turf. We're just enjoying baby before all the family gets here and mayhem ensues! 

I posted pics and birth story on our blog:

https://www.shock-family-circus.blogspot.com

• Just playing the waiting game now. I feel better than I have in a while. Curious if my friend is going to predict right again and I go into labor this weekend, which would not be optimal in the DC area!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"