South Florida Babies

nutrition question - best foods for feeling full the longest

So I just found out I won't be able to have any snacks during the 3 hour segments of the bar (can't have them in the room and can't even leave the room for anything other than to go to the bathroom, so I can't run out, have a quick bite, and run back in). Luckily I am over that first tri period where not eating something in X amount of hours would make me super nauseous. However, even though now I am no longer getting the nausea, I do get really hungry if I don't have a small snack ever so often. It's not really uncomfortable as much as it is distracting. I can definitely go the three hours without food and not feel sick, but I'm worried about my stomach getting rumbly and having hunger pangs which of course would be distracting.

SO, what are the best foods to eat if you want to feel full the longest? I know I've read this in a bunch of fitness articles but now for the life of me I can't remember. Should I load up on proteins or carbs or both? What would be an ideal breakfast to have before the morning session and an ideal lunch to have before the afternoon session? TIA girls!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: nutrition question - best foods for feeling full the longest

• I have one of those Thomas's Light English Muffins for breakfast almost every morning, i think it has like 8 grams of fiber in it, and it seriously keeps me fine from 8am until noon.

• The things that will help you feel full for the longest are high in protein and fiber.  Maybe do an english muffin with peanut butter.  I found dried fruit helped me feel full a lot - I was addicted to mangoes.  I would also eat a nice breakfast (you could also do oatmeal with fruit) and then right before you go in eat one of those Luna or Soyjoy bars that are full of protein.   I love the Luna white chocolate macadamia nut ones and they usually fill me up for a few hours.  

Good luck!

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You definitely want protein in the morning...protein is brain fuel and the best nutrients in the AM! I highly recommend a whey protein drink. I mix 8-10 oz of 1% milk and mix it with my vanilla whey and throw in a banana and peanut butter, or mixed fruit, whatever I have in the kitchen. Make sure you get a good whey protein mix, there's alot of crap out there that's high in fat and have artificial sweeteners and colors. I'll have that with some toast or in addition to my breakfast if I'm really hungry.

If liquids aren't your thing, have eggs with a side of sliced turkey, or turkey sausage. Carbs are good for energy, but when you want sustenance, go with proteins.

Maybe on your quick bathroom break you can munch on a granola bar, I like the Cascadian Farm chewy bars. It's so exciting about your BAR!!

• Definitely a good mix of protein AND complex carbs. My power breakfast is a peanut butter/banana sandwich and a BIG glass of milk:

• whole wheat (double fiber) bread
    • 2 tbs peanut butter 
    • whole banana or low-sugar preserves
    • BIG glass of milk

OR 2 eggs and whole wheat toast or english muffin maybe with some cheese or salsa and glass of orange juice

Those type of meals typically get me 3-4.5 hours without hunger pains (and avoiding any donuts that come into the office in the am).

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH is big on nutrition and he said to eat thigns that are high in fiber, with carbs and protein.  Stay away from processed foods, like white bread or white rice... stick to whole grain foods.  Peanut butter on whole wheat bread or bagels, oatmeal with maybe some bananas, wheat bread and eggs... things that are dense.  Nothing heavy in sugars that will make you go to sleep!  Stay away from protein shakes, he says!  This is the kind of stuff he eats during the day so that if he's called to a fire, he's not getting hungry!

• I would definitely consider having eggs with a toasted wheat english muffin and place a peanut butter Fiber One bar in your purse. You can always eat it on the way to school, as you drive. Trust me your belly will be thanking you.
  • ditto the protein and good carbs!

Eggs and the wheat muffin (even add some cheese for a bigger protein boost) sound like a good idea. 

And definitely have something with you to eat as soon as you're able. 

I always carried a Kashi bar with me when I was pregnant for those eat or starve situations.

Good luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies! Those are great suggestions. I'll probably have eggs and some kind of bread or muffin or bagel with peanut butter, and then a Luna bar right before I walk into the room. That should hold me over really well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebritishbride05:

DH is big on nutrition and he said to eat thigns that are high in fiber, with carbs and protein.  Stay away from processed foods, like white bread or white rice... stick to whole grain foods.  Peanut butter on whole wheat bread or bagels, oatmeal with maybe some bananas, wheat bread and eggs... things that are dense.  Nothing heavy in sugars that will make you go to sleep!  Stay away from protein shakes, he says!  This is the kind of stuff he eats during the day so that if he's called to a fire, he's not getting hungry!

Hey Jen, just wondering why DH says to stay away?  We've had lots of success with prenatal and low weight patients, including myself with a healthy (not from GNC) whey protein drink as a supplement. btw, love Abby's leggings, adorable!

• Jamba Juice was my place to be through my entire pregnancy.  I would always add a banana and a protein boost to my drink.  I also always had goldfish with me.  hang in there!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"