Baby Names

Elizabeth or Elisabeth?

I absolutely cannot stand the nick name Liz, or Lizzie. Which one do you like??
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Elizabeth or Elisabeth?

• I've always preferred Elisabeth.
  • Loading the player...
  • rc1276rc1276 member
    I strongly prefer Elizabeth. If you don't want people to call her Liz or Lizzie, you should establish another nickname early (Beth, for example). Otherwise, I'd say look for another name ... even if you spell it with an s, I bet people will call her Liz or Lizzie.
  • If my hubby and I have a girl we are going to name her Elizabeth with a possible nickname of Lizzie... I like it better than betty, beth or liz
  • I prefer Elizabeth. As long as she tells people that she doesn't go by Liz, it won't get shortened to Liz or Lizzie. I know 6 Elizabeths and only one goes by Liz.

To me, Elisabeth is "Eh-leese-uh-beth" and Elizabeth is "Eh-liz-uh-beth."

• MrsCFBMrsCFB member

elizabeth, for sure!  i don't understand how the "s" magically becomes a z in english.

IMO, these are two different names.  now, if i meet someone who spells their name elisabeth, but wants to be called elizabeth, i will do so.

• MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    imageEmmaRain:

I prefer Elizabeth. As long as she tells people that she doesn't go by Liz, it won't get shortened to Liz or Lizzie. I know 6 Elizabeths and only one goes by Liz.

To me, Elisabeth is "Eh-leese-uh-beth" and Elizabeth is "Eh-liz-uh-beth."

ditto.  or elisabeth is "e-liss-uh-beth"

• erinmserinms member

Elizabeth

Spelling it Elisabeth will not spare you the nicknames Liz or Lizzie. ?I hate the spelling "Elisabeth" but I'm not sure why. ?I guess it seems a little pretentious???

• ctanactana member
    imageerinms:

Elizabeth

Spelling it Elisabeth will not spare you the nicknames Liz or Lizzie.  I hate the spelling "Elisabeth" but I'm not sure why.  I guess it seems a little pretentious?? 

I tend to agree. When I see an "Elisabeth" I think of someone trying to be deliberately different and that comes off as pretentious. Elizabeth is one of my absolute favorite classic names.  (I love Liz but hate Lizzie as a NN).  I do like "Libby" and "Betsy" as NN for Elizabeth though.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies I will keep the comments in mind, we are not 100% sure on the name yet and your comments were definitely helpful :)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Elisabeth so much more, and its less likely to attract Lizzie..

The 'z' spelling looks like Eliza-Beth too much to me..?

• My mn is Elizabeth but I actually really like Elisabeth. Maybe because it's different and less common but not in a bad way.
  • I prefer Elisabeth, and I like the subtle variation from the Z version. Ee-lys-a-beth, it's just more soft sounding than with a Z.
  • Elizabeth

Whether you like those nicknames or not, someone will use them at some point (possibly the kid herself.) And it won't matter how the name is spelled, as they are pronounced the exact same way and that's what people build nicknames off of. ?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Elizabeth (love this name). Elisabeth will be misspelled often.
  • elisabeth. it seems softer, somehow.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Leap08Leap08 member

My name is Elizabeth, so I'm partial to that spelling. I've always been called Liz, but for awhile when I was about 8 I wanted to be Beth. I know many Elizabeths who are not Liz or Lizie. Other nns... Eliza, Libby, Beth, Betty, Betsy. If you establish the nn, people will call her by that nn. Or call her by Elizabeth and insist people call her Elizabeth. Changing the spelling to Elisabeth, won't keep people from calling her Liz. I also think her name would often be misspelled.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • While I do like Elisabeth I don't think spelling it with an s instead of a z will prevent her from being called Liz/Lizzie. I think the best way to fight that would be to give her another nn from the beginning (such as Beth, Betty, Libby or whatever). Or if you really only want her to be called Elisabeth then you (and later she) will have to tell people that. 
  • We prefer Elisabeth, with the nn Elise

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:
    Elizabeth (love this name). Elisabeth will be misspelled often.

This was our thinking, too.  Our daughter is Elizabeth Grace and we call her Ellie for short.  With either spelling, people want to shorten it so you just tell them the nn right away.  We have never had anyone try to call her liz or lizzie and we never have to spell her name for anyone either.  ;)

• I prefer Elizabeth
  • I know an Elisabeth. Guess what she goes by? Liz. Yeah, it ain't gonna help. Just name her Elizabeth and call her Beth (or Betsy or something).
  • i like elizabeth.  i grew up with an elizabeth and no one ever called her liz or lizzie, until she was in college.  you could do beth as a nickname.  people will call her what you do, imo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a friend named Elisabeth that goes by Elisa.  If you like Elisa as a possible nn then I'd go with that spelling, otherwise I'd go with Elizabeth (and I also think Eliza or Liza are cute nn's).
  • I've always been partial to the French spelling, Elisabeth.
  • Either. I hate nn's for Elizabeth. If we go with this name, we will spell it Elisabeth because my SIL is Elizabeth (Liz) and my sis is Lisa, so that is a nice way to combine their names.

If she must have a nn, it will be Libby. 

• Elizabeth.  It's my own name, so I am partial to it.  I do occasionally get asked if it's "with an s" which always throws me a bit, but I imagine if I was Elisabeth I'd have to correct people constantly.  In English they are pretty much pronounced the same.

Elisabeth will also not discourage people from using Liz just because of the s.  I actually go by Liz and don't mind it, but there are so many great nicknames for Elizabeth, you can ask people to call her whatever you want.  Most of my family just uses Elizabeth, actually.  It's a beautiful name that I have always been happy with - you really can't go wrong with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"