Breastfeeding

Parenting board regular, need some help

I am currently on meds for a nasty bout of mastitis. I am feeling much better these days but have recurrent clogged ducts and I have been trying almost everything! I need some insider tips on how to unclog and prevent future clogging. Honestly, all these complications have me about ready to throw in the towel. Would love any advice or things that have worked for you, preferably suggestions other than warm compresses, massage and nursing like crazy b/c I've been doing all that and the clogs keep coming! TIA ladies.

Re: Parenting board regular, need some help

• Knock on wood I have not had a clogged duck before, but I just wanted to tell you that Emerson is such a cutie!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used to get clogged ducts regularly, and the best two things I have done to help prevent them are changing my sleeping position, and changing my bra.

If you tend to sleep on your boobs, (belly or deep side sleeper) you're more likely to develop a clog, especially if you become engorged. I know this is easier said than done, but try to at least fall asleep in a different position if you can.

Bras with underwire are also a big culprit, as are poorly fitting bras. Go get a good fitting by someone who really knows what they're doing, and change to non-underwire bras. A comfy sports bra or nursing tank is even better. I rarely wear bras at all now - when I do, it's a non-underwire.

• Loading the player...
  • I would def make sure you're not wearing a bra at night and sleep on your back if you can. You can take Lecithin, 1200 mg caplets 4 times a day when you think you can feel a clot coming on. This has really helped me a ton!
  • On top of what you are already doing, all I can say is make sure your boob is drained each time your nurse or pump. This is one reason I know I always got them in the past is because DD wouldn't finish the milk on one side and I wouldn'tpump it out. Once I started doign that it really helped to have it completely drained. The LC told me is make sure your boobs are completely drained at least once a day. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"