Breastfeeding
Options

Oversupply / over active let down?

How do you know if you have this?

In the past week or two my DS has started really fussing while at the breast.  He moves his head all around and just looks uncomfortable and it usually starts around 2-3 minutes in to the feeding.  Sometimes he spits it out... I try burping him and sometimes that works, but sometimes he is just fussy still.  

He seems to do better when he is sleepy, but then I have to keep doing things to keep him awake and feeding.  When he is really hungry it seems to be the worst.  I don't know what to do to make him happier... he is latched on good and wants to eat, but he just doesn't look comfortable feeding.

Any help would be great. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Oversupply / over active let down?

• Options

I know my let-down made both my kids choke until they learned to keep up. Plus it sprays out quite a bit.

Is he using a paci? He may need a burp before you start feeding if he does.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know I have oversupply because I would always get horribly engorged and produce enough milk for two babies.  My supply has only begun to even out now.  I know I have fast let down because DD chokes sometimes when I let down and if she pulls off, it will spray her face.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just experienced the spraying this weekend and DS did NOT like it...I ended up hand expressing a small amount and that really seemed to help.
  • Options

imagebethnease:
    expressing a small amount and that really seemed to help.

this. my ds would choke and sputter during let down because he was frantically sucking and all of a sudden the geyser would open. it got better as we established my milk supply for him...the leaking stopped then, too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"