Baby Names
Options

Why don't people like the name Blake?

Honestly I love this name but I see a lot of negative comments about it on this board. Does it remind you of someone that you don't like? Does the name have some sort of connotation to it?

Re: Why don't people like the name Blake?

• Options
    I'm dating myself here, but all I think about is Blake Carrington from Dynasty.  I don't think its that bad, just NMS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I actually like it for a boy or girl. Not enough to use it for my kid though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like it, but it DH hates it. He says it is too "pretty boy surfer with a trust fund" for his taste. LOL!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rc1276rc1276 member
    Seems kind of 80s to me ... no other reason. I don't hate it ...
  • Options
    MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    i think it's an okay name.
  • Options
    I have no problem whatsoever with the name Blake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    erinmserinms member

I really like it, but it does conjure up kind of an annoying guy- attractive but really self-centered. ?My husband and I agreed that we liked the name but it is too bad that it reminds us of guys we don't like.

I would totally support someone else naming their kid Blake, we just had too many people we didn't like with that name.?

• Options

I don't have problem with the name. I think Blake Lively has caused some people to think of it as a unisex name, though.

• Options
    ctanactana member

imageMontyMrs:
    I'm dating myself here, but all I think about is Blake Carrington from Dynasty.  I don't think its that bad, just NMS.

Unfortunately me too. I totally think of that old dude.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options

I like it. I only know one Blake and he's 7y.o.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I LOVE the name Blake! Its my DH's name. He isn't thilled that people are using it for girls but otherwise he likes too. I say go for it! 
  • Options
    Honestly I picture a total pansy arse guy with that name. And I've never personally known a Blake... don't know why. Maybe it's just not manly enough?
  • Options

imageara4488:
    I have no problem whatsoever with the name Blake.

Same 

• Options
    Blake sounds like an arrogant jock to me. I know a Blake and he's nothing like that (gay actor), but that's still what I think of.?
  • Options
    I like the name Blake.  One of my friends just had a baby and named him Blake.
  • Options

I like Blake... as a matter of fact its on our list. It's DHs top pick,  my only issue is that it seems a little unfinished...you know it needs a "son" or "ly" or "en" at the end.... but that just doesnt work!  LOL

• Options
    it kind of rose to popularity really fast in the past 10 years and i think it just sounds like way too much of a nickname for me.
  • Options
    I like the name Blake- a lot.  If you and DH love it, go for it!  My friend from high school who I have a lot of respect for is named Blake so I only have good connotations with it...
  • Options
    I love Blake!  I would use it for a boy or girl, and it is on our short list.
  • Options
    I like it a lot...for a boy or girl!
  • Options
    It sounds prep school girly boy to me. Don't know why. It just does.
  • Options
    i like Blake!
  • Options
    Blake is DS1 name, so I LOVE it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options
    It rhymes with the word "flake". I always picture some jerky surfer dude.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"