Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Ask a new mom - GO!

I have some time while DD is napping. I've been replying to a few posts here and there, but ask me anything. I had a completely natural childbirth, and I'm breastfeeding. Happy to help where I can!

Re: Ask a new mom - GO!

• Options

Anything that you didn't have in your hospital bag that you wished you would of had?

• Options
    Ohhh me, me! I have a question regarding breast feeding...what do I need to register for??? I went down the aisle at BRU yesterday with DH and we were sooooooooo confused! Nipple pads, cream, milk bags???? HELP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *************************************************************************************** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How are you? Have you been able to enjoy a glass of wine yet?
  • Options
    imageSaraBobby:

Anything that you didn't have in your hospital bag that you wished you would of had?

Not really, but I probably over packed. I was happy to have my own robe, slippers and nightgowns for when visitors came. I didn't even use my chapstick, though everyone said to bring it. It was nice to have my own shampoo/conditioner for showers. And be sure to pack some snacks for DH.

• Options
    Was natural childbirth as scary as it sounds?
  • Options

imageBabs022:
    Ohhh me, me! I have a question regarding breast feeding...what do I need to register for??? I went down the aisle at BRU yesterday with DH and we were sooooooooo confused! Nipple pads, cream, milk bags???? HELP!

I haven't needed to use the Lansinoh cream, but many women swear by it and wouldn't survive the early days without it. Definitely buy some nursing pads. Even if you don't leak a lot during the day, one breast tends to leak while you nurse on the other. I prefer the Medela pads to the Lansinoh - the Lansinoh are folded in the middle and show a crease through my bra!

Are you planning to pump and freeze milk? If so, you'll also want some milk storage bags. I've been using the Medela ones so far, but they are expensive. Once these run out I'll switch to the Lansinoh ones, I hear they are just as good. I bought the Medela Feeding Gift Set (https://www.target.com/Medela-Feeding-Gift-Set/dp/B001EU8IPY/qid=1246378325/ref=br_1_9/185-9649958-3331119?ie=UTF8&node=11051561&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1) and it's been a nice starter pack for me of bottles and bags. Good luck!

• Options

imagesunnyday16:
    How are you? Have you been able to enjoy a glass of wine yet?

I'm doing really well, thanks for asking! DD is a joy and I love being a mommy. I'm not a big drinker, so wine hasn't been a priority for me, but I certainly could have had one by now if I'd wanted to!

• Options

imageCapitolBaby:
    Was natural childbirth as scary as it sounds?

For me, not at all! I was fortunate though, I woke up at 1:30am with some cramping, by 3am was having contractions, and DD was born at 12:38pm. So from cramping to birth was 11 hours. If it had been much longer, I might have a different answer LOL.

Honestly, L&D naturally was very instinctual for me. We didn't even take a childbirth class - I just did what felt right and it worked. This included a lot of swaying back and forth and rocking my hips. I figured the nurses would be there to walk me through it, but I didn't really need to rely on them - though my nurse was a.ma.zing! Definitely read up on birthing methods, but you can do it if you want to!

• Options
    Who did you have in the delivery room with you?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageBarnStar:

imageBabs022:

I haven't needed to use the Lansinoh cream, but many women swear by it and wouldn't survive the early days without it. Definitely buy some nursing pads. Even if you don't leak a lot during the day, one breast tends to leak while you nurse on the other. I prefer the Medela pads to the Lansinoh - the Lansinoh are folded in the middle and show a crease through my bra!

Are you planning to pump and freeze milk? If so, you'll also want some milk storage bags. I've been using the Medela ones so far, but they are expensive. Once these run out I'll switch to the Lansinoh ones, I hear they are just as good. I bought the Medela Feeding Gift Set (https://www.target.com/Medela-Feeding-Gift-Set/dp/B001EU8IPY/qid=1246378325/ref=br_1_9/185-9649958-3331119?ie=UTF8&node=11051561&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1) and it's been a nice starter pack for me of bottles and bags. Good luck!

Thank you so much!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *************************************************************************************** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageRosieoutlook:
    Who did you have in the delivery room with you?

This was an easy decision for me. I am an only child, so no siblings to worry about. MIL can't travel so couldn't be there. So it was just my mom and DH. Mom was allowed to stay for labor, but the actual delivery was just me and DH.

• Options
    I do not have a ?... I just wanted to say Hi! :)image
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageminnteacher:
    I do not have a ?... I just wanted to say Hi! :)

HI MINN!!!

• Options

OK, this is totally TMI but it has been bugging me ever since we talked about it in my Bradley class this week.  Do you really poop when the baby's head comes out?  And does it get on the baby?

I'm sorry - I just really need to know!  You can PM me if you don't want to post this here for the world to see ...

• Options
    imagemh2t:

OK, this is totally TMI but it has been bugging me ever since we talked about it in my Bradley class this week.  Do you really poop when the baby's head comes out?  And does it get on the baby?

I'm sorry - I just really need to know!  You can PM me if you don't want to post this here for the world to see ...

I don't know exactly when it happened, but yes, I pooped while pushing. I didn't know it at the time, but I remember them changing the pad underneath me, and I asked DH about it later. I'm pretty sure it was before the baby came out though, and that it did NOT get on her. Honestly, it makes sense that you would poop - you are using a lot of the same muscles to push the baby out as you do to poop. Sorry, but your class was right!

• Options
    imageBarnStar:
    imagemh2t:

I don't know exactly when it happened, but yes, I pooped while pushing. I didn't know it at the time, but I remember them changing the pad underneath me, and I asked DH about it later. I'm pretty sure it was before the baby came out though, and that it did NOT get on her. Honestly, it makes sense that you would poop - you are using a lot of the same muscles to push the baby out as you do to poop. Sorry, but your class was right!

Sigh. Yeah, I know it makes total sense - and it's not that I didn't believe it.  I just kind of needed to hear about it from someone who had gone through it.  Childbirth is beautiful, right? :)

• Options

imagemh2t:
    Childbirth is beautiful, right? :)

It is! And in the heat of the moment, you won't care one way or the other! When they hand you your little one, it will ALL be worth it, messy or not!

• Options
    I asked DMSmith this, and I'm curious about you now!  How much sleep did you get in the first week and are you getting more/less now?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

imageMrsPatterson:
    I asked DMSmith this, and I'm curious about you now!  How much sleep did you get in the first week and are you getting more/less now?

I am very fortunate - DD is a great sleeper! Even our 2nd night in the hospital, I got worried because she went 4 hours without eating because she was asleep!

She usually gives me about 3-4 hours stretches. My max is 6.5 hours and that was last Thursday. Last night, she went down at 10:45p, (I went to bed around midnight) woke up at 3:30a, 6:30a, 7:30a, and we got up for the day at 9:00a. This has been pretty typical for her, though she still doesn't have a set routine.

• Options

hey there, welcome back!  :-)

Just saw the delivery of the placenta last night in childbirth class.  Does that hurt or is it pretty much an after thought since you have the baby already?  What was your favorite position(s) for laboring?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejeffrae:

hey there, welcome back!  :-)

Just saw the delivery of the placenta last night in childbirth class.  Does that hurt or is it pretty much an after thought since you have the baby already?  What was your favorite position(s) for laboring?

I don't even remember delivering the placenta, I swear the OB just pulled it out. I don't even think I had to push at all, seriously. I didn't see it, but DH did (by accident) and he said it was gross looking, so don't look!

While laboring, sitting/laying down sucked! My early labor, I mostly was standing and leaning on the back of a tall chair, swaying my hips back and forth. Once I hit 6cm, they broke my water and I stayed in the bed until after delivery (my choice - I was allowed to get up, but my contractions were so frequent I didn't even want to). When a ctx would come on, I would sit up and brace myself with my arms straight back against the bed, then just breathe through it.

• Options
    imageSaraBobby:

Butting in to help out Courtney!

We had to much stuff. Since I had a c-section I didn't get to wear my own clothes until the day I went home (day 3) so I overpacked clothes. One thing to put in there is snacks like granola bars. Dh ate those while I was in L&D and other times.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBabs022:

Definitely get nipple cream and take it to the hospital. The best advice I got from friends was to start using it ASAP after giving birth. And it was kept me from having cracked hurting nipples.

Also I got pads, storage bags, breast pump, bottles beforehand. Since I had a big baby (9lb 12oz) my LC had me pumping before I BF for the frist week. It helped my milk come in and get my nipples ready for DS to latch. I used the hospital pump until I got home so I was glad I had already gotten my pump. The pads are another definitely to get. I leak all the time right now esp when DS cries.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"