Breastfeeding
Options

best way to treat bleeding nipple?

help please! :) any suggestions welcome. i'm pretty sure latching is ok but i suppose i could be wrong--i've been told by a midwife that my positioning and his latch is fine. yet i still have one nipple that bleeds--think it's cracked. please tell me your suggestions on how i can treat it! i've been pumping on the bleeding side and giving him the bottle of bm after he finishes on the other side because it doesn't hurt as much this way. want to go back to ebf'ing as soon as possible though.

Re: best way to treat bleeding nipple?

• Options
    adri77adri77 member
    This happened to me, except it was both nipples.  MY lc said it looked like I had been scraping them across the sidewalk all day and said the were "horrendous."  They felt horrendous!  I soaked them in salt water and tried to keep them uncovered as much as possible.  I didn't wear the breast pads.  I also used a nipple sheild until they healed, which was probably about a week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One of the LCs we worked with in the hospital said the best way to heal a cracked/bleeding nipple is to rub a little breastmilk on to the bleeding part and then let it air dry. ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The only thing I found that worked was a nipple shield. I tried the bm, air dry, lansinoh, etc.

• Options
    that purple tube of lanisoh (spelling ?) worked excellent for me.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The best thing I found, beyond milk on the nipple, was Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter.  The lanolin didn't really do anything for me, but after I found the butter, I was feeling 110% better in less than a week!  And go figure, right after I bought it online, BRU started carrying it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"