Pregnant after a Loss

Am I crazy? (daycare related)

I have to be at work between 2:30 and 3 and DH gets home from work between 5:30 and 6.  I was thinking I'd drop the baby off on my way to work and he'd pick him up on his way home.  Of the places you've talked to, do they have flexible pickup/drop off times?  Do they charge hourly or whole day regardless of how long the baby is there?

I know I'm going to have to interview the places near me and find this out for myself but I was just curious what you found so I don't go into the process with unrealistic expectations.  TIA

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I crazy? (daycare related)

• All of the places I have looked at charge either daily or weekly. Perhaps you could work it out so that you're only paying for a couple of days each week since the baby will really only be there for a few hours?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Some of the places I talked to did pt care, but not all. It will just depend on the center. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • From my experience, you might have more luck with a smaller center or in-home daycare situation.  Most of the larger centers I looked at would not do part time for infants (they usually will do part time after the kid is 1 year or so).  With DS, I was working 3 days a week and I had a really hard time finding daycare that was anything other than full time, 5 days a week for infants.  (that was with larger daycare centers, though)  That being said, if the center has an open space, they may be more willing to work with you OR if you can find someone to "share" your space (ie - maybe find someone who just needs morning care).  Good luck!!
  • 90% of the places in my area charge for the whole day regardless if dc goes for 8 hrs or for 2 hrs.
  • I have had a hard time finding day cares that allow for partial days or charge by the hour.  Some have flexible drop off/pick up but still charge for the whole day.  It is for this reason that we are looking into a part-time nanny that we can pay by the hour.
    BFP #1 = 12/23/08 M/C = 1/5/09 @ 6 w 0 d
    BFP #2 = 3/30/09 DD born 12/9/09
    BFP #3 = 5/17/11 EDD = 1/27/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    18 months
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wish you lived near me. ?I'm thinking about working only mornings (if at all) and am very worried about finding a good daycare that will take a pt baby. ?It's stressful! ?

Like pp said, it will depend on the place. ?Do you have coworkers on a similar schedule that might have some tips??

• they charge weekly, regardless of time you drop off or pick up
  • Part-time in my center is 5 hours a day or less - the same price - which is just a little bit less than a full day's price.

If you're open to someone in-home, be on the lookout for someone who offers "after school care" since those are basically the hours you're looking for.

• ENevENev member

Actually, both of the centers we looked at offered a weekly rate, a daily rate, and a 1/2 day rate.

For example, they charge $56 day, but then $36 or so for a 1/2 day. So you could probably find one that would charge you for a 1/2 day.

• This is exactly the reason why I'm going for in-home daycare.  They tend to be much more flexible than centers.  Although all in-home daycares I've spoken to charge by the day, not hourly.  Many of the centers near me charge by the week, whether the baby is there for 1/2 a day or 5.  Although a problem you might run into with in-home is that the pick-up time is pretty close to the limits of the end of their day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Ours charges by the full day.  So if you are only there for an hour, it counts as a day.  There are only three rates: Three, Four or Five days a week.  This is a larger center--you might have better luck with your schedule finding an in-home provider or even a college student who has afternoons free.
  • It depends on your area.  I have looked into centers as well as licensed in homes and they both vary.  Look for a Center with part time status allowed and you may get lucky.  Most centers do not do part or flex time with infants because the spot is such a hot commodity.  You may have to go with an inhome.  I personally am a fan of in homes at least the one we use.  Very state mandated and run like a center but tons less and very flexible!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"