Blended Families

Harry Potter Q?

I have been into Harry Potter since before I met FI, my parents love it, my brother loves it etc.  I am PSYCHED about the Half Blood Prince coming out.  SDs want to see it.  I'm of the opinion it's going to be too scary.  They are 6 and 8.  When we saw Order of the Phoenix, they got scared and had nightmares and additionally for the last 30 minutes were whining "can we goooo nowwwww?"

They saw the preview and they want to see the new HP but I don't want them to get scared again and get restless again like last year because this one will probably be even longer.  Should we cave and let them see it?  Or am I right that it's too much for kids their age?  Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Harry Potter Q?

• Id say go with your gut instinct...and remind them that it will come out on DVD and you can buy it for them then so they can pause it and what not if they get scared...
    ~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
    image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
    image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
    image 20 people are procrastinators!
    RSVP Date: 2/28/2011
  • Have you read the book?  The movies have gotten far from the fun kids movies they started out to be.  I don't think that at 8 and 6 especially it would be a good idea to see it, or at least you should see it first.

We have a rule in our house when it comes to Harry Potter, SD has to read the book before she can see the movie.  She was terrified of the first HP movie not too long ago so I handed her the book and said read it, it isn't as scary when you are reading it, then when you are done you can watch the movie if you want.  That way she knew what was going to happen. 

She is REALLY excited about finishing the second book so she can see the movie!

• Loading the player...
  • I felt bad because last summer they were begging to see it, and spent the whole movie freaking out or whining.  I don't want a repeat of that but they act like they reallllly want to see it again.  But I think I'll go with my gut.  Thanks!
  • Oh and yes I've read all the books (lurve me some Harry Potter).  The kids haven't read the books nor has BM read them to them.  The preview looks very dark and creepy and scarier than the book so that's what made me think it wouldn't be a good idea for the kids.  FINE for me though!  I'll manage :)
  • I would say that depending on the 8 year old's reading ability she may be able to start reading the series.  SD started reading them when she was 8, towards the end of the year. 
  • I wouldn't. SS started reading the series when he was 8. For some of the books, SS's mom made him wait 6mo to a year to read them because she thought they were too scary for him - and she was absolutely right. He was a very sensitive kid and easily frightened. And I think it's a lot easier for kids to skim through scary stuff in books than it is to see it projected on the big screen when you can't escape from it.

Since last year you had a 7yo who was scared, why even think about taking a 6yo to a movie that promises to be even more scary? If nothing else, go see the movie by yourself first and base the decision on that.

- Jena
  • No. The scare factor has been building over the years so this one is sure to be scarier than the last one. They can see it on video. It will be far less scary in that setting with you their to talk to them about it.

Click me, click me!
  • We are taking our DD6.

Both me and DH love HP...so it plays a big role in the house. She is constantly watching all 5 movies and having me read the books to her. I think it would have to come down to your gut feeling. I know our DD can handle it cause she is fully aware that is fake and stuff like that would never happen. But this is the girl that loves scaries movie and ghost hunter shows.

• Nope. I think the story itself is not appropriate for a child those ages, and the movie will certainly scare them.

I agree with pp, if they are not old enough to read it, they are not old enough to watch the movie. Also, there would be no chance anyone would be coming with me who would possibly ruin my movie experience. HP is my obsession.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"