North Carolina Babies

Youngest Age to start Solids?

Is 4 months, right? I have a friend that started giving rice cereal mixed with BM when her baby was 3 weeks old b/c her baby was still hungry (10 pounds at birth) and her pedi recommended it. Ashley's pedi told me I could do the same when she was 2.5 months old and not gaining weight (we didn't end up doing it).

Well, my DH's cousin is giving her six week old applesauce. I had to bite my tongue not to say anything. Have any of you heard when this is okay? She claims he is hungry and that he "loves it" but I know she did not talk to her pedi first. I just don't know if a baby that young can handle digesting applesauce. But maybe I just need to mind my own business Stick out tongue

Re: Youngest Age to start Solids?

• WOW. um yeah I feel like thats really young to be giving any solids in my opinion especially something other then rice cereal. I know some people put rice cereal in a bottle to thinken it for reflux or to help fill the baby up but i cant see a baby that old taking a spoon and knowing how to swallow that.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think this is one of those situations where you just bite your tongue, and then come here to tell us about it.

I think it's way too young.  I don't know where people find pediatricians that encourage (or support) solids so early, and if their pediatrician didn't endorse it, then why?  I just don't get it.  I'm sure that the applesauce tastes good to the baby, but that doesn't mean that he should be eating it.  I could give Nate a Hershey Bar and he'd gobble it down, but it doesn't mean that it's a good thing for him to eat (yes, I know that applesauce is more nutritious than a candy bar, but you get my point).

I've b*tched here before about the woman at Nate's daycare who started solids super early with her granddaughter.  I have no doubt that her entire goal was to get rid of formula as fast as possible.  The child was drinking half cow's milk at 10 months old.  It's absurd.  We all know that formula used to be total crap back when our grandparents/parents were kids, and they all survived on it, so kids can survive on just about anything... but it doesn't mean that it's the best thing for them.  *sigh*

• Loading the player...
  • 6 weeks is way too young. At the minimum, they should have good head control (must keep head up to be able to swallow correctly). American Academy of Pediatricians recommends solids start at 6 months, but some say 4 months is ok. Even though they're starting solids, the majority of their nutrition is from the breast milk or formula.?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think that's how it was done when our generation was babies, but wow, I can't even imagine giving a 6 week old apple sauce!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageECUGirl2004:

I think this is one of those situations where you just bite your tongue, and then come here to tell us about it.

Agreed. 

And might I mention this one acquaintance of mine who put ice cream and Coke in a bottle for her 7 month old? Because her daughter just "loved" it.  Indifferent I know that as Moms we shouldn't judge other Moms, but I judged her.

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemurph04:
    imageECUGirl2004:

I think this is one of those situations where you just bite your tongue, and then come here to tell us about it.

Agreed. 

And might I mention this one acquaintance of mine who put ice cream and Coke in a bottle for her 7 month old? Because her daughter just "loved" it.  Indifferent I know that as Moms we shouldn't judge other Moms, but I judged her.

YIKES!! I totally judged my DH's other cousin who gave her one year old DIET MT DEW in a bottle, again, had to bite my tongue. His aunt also wanted to give Ash chocolate icing at 10 months (I still won't let her have chocolate). I started solids with her at 6 months and even then, it took her a few weeks to get the hang of it, there was no way she would have been ready before that.

• imagemurph04:

Wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"