Adoption
Options

An Amusing 2 Month Appt

I thought a happy/funny post was needed on here! Most of my real life mommy friends are very "by the book" with parenting and would probably be outraged at what our Dr. told us or recite studies that contradict him so I thought I'd share with you guys instead!?

So yesterday we had our 2 month check up where he gets his first shots. We were excited to see how big he was but not so excited about the horrible shots we had heard of.

During the first month he was having a really hard time maintaining his weight, net alone gaining weight. Our Dr. instructed us to "force it down there". ?

Well, I'm not sure he was expecting what he saw when we came in. First, he was wearing his cloth diaper. A fitted with a cover over it. Our doctor is really quirky and makes strange noises and conversation. He decided to have a conversation with DS about how crazy his mom was for putting him in all those layers. "No pee is escaping you!" He exclaimed. You better believe it. He then started asking himself if "butt's can overheat"? My husband and I just looked at each other like "what?". Dr seemed to decide that H"s but was safe and healthy.?

Once we got through that, the "clicking" started. Our doctor makes the funniest clicking noises. When DH and I are at home and we are pondering anything medical for our son, my husband will start clicking as he thinks. He thinks the clicking must bring medical knowledge. (Yes, he knows it's just a way to get the baby's attention).

The funny part is when he got his diaper off and could fully see Mr. Big Belly. He pulled his chart over and said "whoa! I guess we aren't having problems eating anymore". We talked about how often and much he was eating. Then he says, yep just what I thought. Time for solids. Solids! At 10 weeks? What? So we got a lesson in feeding fruits to a 10 week old. Apparently he is eating the maximum formula he should be eating and they don't want him continuing to take more oz a day.?

Tonight we are going to try it. We weren't both home last night and want to do this together. I'm envisioning having pears spit all over my face.?

He always ends the visits by telling us that "we picked a good one". ?Last time when asked how his circ looked he exclaimed "Best circumcision in town!". Oh lordy.

He's kind of nutso but I find our visits amusing now. He's a really good doctor, though, which is what matters. I just think it's funny that he thinks of me as the crazy cloth diaper mommy and we think he's crazy in turn.?

Thanks for letting me share! ?

Re: An Amusing 2 Month Appt

• Options

OMG!! that is absolutely halarious.. and I surely needed a laugh this morning!! Big Smile

my peditrician (whom I saw until I was 25.. yes I know it's odd.. but I am naturally thin and underweight.. and whenever I attempted to see another doctor I got accused of having an eating disorder.  as I got older I started putting on weight.. but am still consider underweight for my height)... anywho, is like that... my mom gave us rice cereal at 4 weeks.. needless to say all of us were PORKERS!!

i am glad u have a great pediatrician.. its good for u and ure DS!!  ((Hugs))

• Options

He said we can only do apples and pears and we're not allowed to just start feeding him anything we want. I guess he was concerned that he was getting so many calories and his weight percentile was pretty high compared to his height and stuff. He's still eating massing amounts of formula every 2 hours.?

My mother thinks this is funny, because when I was a little girl I wasn't even on the charts. I was like a 0% baby and apparently refused to eat. I turned blue every time they put a bottle in my mouth. It was horrible for them and they are happy to finally have a baby in the family that likes to eat. ?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ha ha!  He does have quite the little budda belly working in your pic:) 
  • Options
    We have Abby's 2 month appt this afternoon!  It looks like Abby and Holden are only about a week apart!  I'm concerned about the shots (I know I will probably cry more than she does!).  I think she is still just slightly underweight for her age.  She is just over 9lbs but is very short so she looks like a butterball in her pics.  I'll be interested to see how her visit goes now!  We may have to compare notes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Butterfly-

If you want my clicking doctor I'm sure he'd love to see you guys! LOL.

?The shots were actually really easy for us. I was expecting something horrible like the circ. The nurse said, "I bet that's the most you've heard him scream!" We looked at each other and said, not by a long shot. He's a screamer rather than a crier. It was over so quickly. We did a little tylenol before hand and seemed fine. ?A little fussy last night and we just watched his temp.?

Good luck today! ?

?

• Options

look at that belly!  i'm with fred about the fruits.  their little gi tracts are still very, very sensitive.  cereal is usually pretty gentle but even that can cause problems when they are that tiny.  you might want to research it just a bit more or get a 2nd opinion. 

please dont think i'm being preachy.  i'm just going by what i've read, my pedi, and my mom who is an infant nutritionist. 

(i'm typing one handed so that why i seem kind of abrupt)

• Options
    Thanks for a good laugh...what a funny doctor!
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I've definitely researching. He originally said to try the rice cereal but his stools are kind of thick and he was afraid that would make them worse... I will make sure whatever we decide we do in very small doses and make sure it's safe for him.?
  • Options

My pedi is SOOO conservative with solids and amount of formula. She says absolutely no solids until 4 months but believes in the 6 mo rule because of allergies being formed to young. And because their digestive system is not fully developed until around day 100.

At the same time ... G is apparently eating TOO much formula and I'm suppose to stop 'over feeding him'. UH? How do you not give a crying baby formula? Pacis only work if they are 'slightly' hungry not GIVE ME FOOD NOW hungry.

He is eating between 35-41 oz per day. I know. He is now, as of this morning 12lbs 11oz (didn't do height). We have our 'two month' appointment in two weeks. Last appointment, a month ago, he was eating around 29-34oz and was 9lbs 11oz and she lectured me on over-feeding him. I'm not going to withhold food. I'm not going to stick a paci in his mouth so he can shoot across the room and scream. I'm not going to CIO over food. Shrugs.

So I am really curious as to what your LO weighs and eats in oz of formula. Because I'm really considering a different pedi. She did agree to doing a different shot vacination schedule - which I thought she would be against.

This is what happens when LO comes too quick and you don't get to interview pedis before hand. We went with her because she could get him in the soonest after we got  home and her office is like five minutes from home.

• Options

I second looking into options about feeding solids early.  To each their own, but it's good to know why it's okay/not okay to feed solids early.  I think AAP, WHO and CDC recommend that you offer nothing but formula or BM for at least 6 months.

I highly recommend skipping rice cereal all together since it is known to cause constipation (my experience and several of my friends).  Baby oatmeal has very little risk to allergy and may be good to start with since it doesn't cause constipation.  At 10 weeks your little guy may still have his tongue thrust and not be able to take solids from a spoon yet.  www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a good resource on feeding solids.

I didn't know there was a maximum of formula intake?  My understanding is that babies can't over eat like adults, so they stop when they're full and eat when they're hungry.  I also BF my DS and my DD was already on solids plus got the extra BM I pumped when she came home, so I don't have much experience with FF'ing and the bottle.

Your doctor sounds so quirky...makes for fun appointments!

• Options
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

He is eating between 35-41 oz per day. I know. He is now, as of this morning 12lbs 11oz (didn't do height). We have our 'two month' appointment in two weeks. Last appointment, a month ago, he was eating around 29-34oz and was 9lbs 11oz and she lectured me on over-feeding him. I'm not going to withhold food. I'm not going to stick a paci in his mouth so he can shoot across the room and scream. I'm not going to CIO over food. Shrugs.

I don't think this sounds like an unreasonable amount of formula.  Depending on a babies weight and if they are going through a growth spurt (10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3/4 months, 6 months, 8/9 months) they will eat more than 'normal'.  At age 1-3 months depending on the weight, it is normal to feed a baby 20-42 oz of formula/BM in a 24 hour period.

If it helps at all, my DS was 13 lb, 10 oz at 2 months old and 26 inches long.  He ate on the higher end of oz in a day.

Also

• Options
    imageSally J:
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

I don't think this sounds like an unreasonable amount of formula.  Depending on a babies weight and if they are going through a growth spurt (10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3/4 months, 6 months, 8/9 months) they will eat more than 'normal'.  At age 1-3 months depending on the weight, it is normal to feed a baby 20-42 oz of formula/BM in a 24 hour period.

If it helps at all, my DS was 13 lb, 10 oz at 2 months old and 26 inches long.  He ate on the higher end of oz in a day.

Also

I let what she told me at the last appointment go in one ear and out the other. I tried to defend how much I was feeding him because 1) he was born at 5lbs and was in the lower 10th percentile for weight/height/head, 2) I think he has been in a continuous growth spurt to 'catch up' - gaining about a pound a week since birth, and 3) this one is difficult, please don't flame but I get the feeling that she does not have children (THIS IN NO WAY should disqualify her from being a good doctor but some of the advice she gives me is completely unrealistic and not practical to anyone who has a baby).

I will see how the next appointment goes. If I walk away feeling like she just 'doesn't get it' then I will be on the hunt for another doctor. I do know that sometimes he does over-eat but it isn't more than an ounce or so - which wouldn't alter the over-all number of ounces a day that much.

**** Sorry I hijacked with my own pedi/weight complaining! BTW I love his budda belly and his button is healing well - G's belly seems smaller and his button is a HUGE bulb lol *********

• Options

Have you tried the EASY schedule from the Baby Whisperer?  It is a life changer!  We tried when A was about 4 weeks, but she is BFing on demand at it just didn't work out.  She is a little more routine these days and it has made a world of difference.  The routine is

Eat, Activity (diaper change and play), Sleep, and You. 

It helps them to learn to go to sleep without eating.  It also really helped us to get in more play and less fuss time.  I like that it doesn't really specify how long each item should be, just the order.  The second I see her looking tired, off to bed. 

You can't tell from my siggie, but my girl is pretty chunky.  She was eating almost non-stop because she needed it to go to sleep.  I think at times she was over-eating even though they say it isn't common with BFed babies.  I know if we give her a bottle she often over-eats and lets us know by puking it up a few mins later.  Also when she was battling reflux really bad, she wanted to eat all the time to soothe it.

I might just be telling you things you already know, so I'm sorry if I'm just stating the obvious.  It wasn't obvious to me and we didn't really get things down until about 6 weeks ago...and now she has changed everything again ;).  It's tough when your pedi is telling you one thing and everyone else is saying the opposite.  Mine wants me to start cereal at 4 mos, but I'm just not ready so we're going to play it by ear and see when she is ready.  We will not be doing any fruits or veggies until 6 mos though because of allergies.

I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all.  This has just been my experience.   

• Options
    imagepinkwedding05:

Have you tried the EASY schedule from the Baby Whisperer?  It is a life changer!  We tried when A was about 4 weeks, but she is BFing on demand at it just didn't work out.  She is a little more routine these days and it has made a world of difference.  The routine is

Eat, Activity (diaper change and play), Sleep, and You. 

It helps them to learn to go to sleep without eating.  It also really helped us to get in more play and less fuss time.  I like that it doesn't really specify how long each item should be, just the order.  The second I see her looking tired, off to bed. 

You can't tell from my siggie, but my girl is pretty chunky.  She was eating almost non-stop because she needed it to go to sleep.  I think at times she was over-eating even though they say it isn't common with BFed babies.  I know if we give her a bottle she often over-eats and lets us know by puking it up a few mins later.  Also when she was battling reflux really bad, she wanted to eat all the time to soothe it.

I might just be telling you things you already know, so I'm sorry if I'm just stating the obvious.  It wasn't obvious to me and we didn't really get things down until about 6 weeks ago...and now she has changed everything again ;).  It's tough when your pedi is telling you one thing and everyone else is saying the opposite.  Mine wants me to start cereal at 4 mos, but I'm just not ready so we're going to play it by ear and see when she is ready.  We will not be doing any fruits or veggies until 6 mos though because of allergies.

I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all.  This has just been my experience.   

My LO only takes two naps during the day. He has 3 hours of alert/play time in the AM from 7 to 10 (sometimes he will go until 11a) and then he takes two back to back naps (with maybe 20 min. of play time in between). So our issue with him eating so much has nothing to do with it being about going to sleep. He eats that much even before playing and being awake for several hours of play time. He does eat a healthy chunk during his afternoon awake time, I think so he can do his 7 hour and then 4 hour stretches of bedtime sleep though.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Baby Whisperer, when he stops taking those two longer naps and has more mid-day awake time it might come in handy with feedings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"