North Carolina Babies

question for pumping moms

If I heat up a bottle of breast milk and DD doesn't eat it right away, how long can I leave it at room temperature before I have to throw it away? Or, can I put it back in the fridge and reheat for the next feeding? I looked on lll and kelly mom and couldn't find anything...

Re: question for pumping moms

• That is really confusing!  I don't know that I ever got a clear answer.  I think you can save it for the next feeding, assuming the next feeding is within the next few hours.  I'd put it in the fridge if possible, but it's probably fine out too. 
  • I read somewhere that you have to use it within an hour of thawing to room temp. After that it should be thrown out rather than re-refrigerated. It sucks to waste milk but I feel better safe than sorry! I have stretched it to about 2 hours after heating but no longer than that. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • do you think that rule changes if the milk hasn't been frozen, just refrigerated? geez, this is confusing!
  • imagemrsNnearly:
    I read somewhere that you have to use it within an hour of thawing to room temp. After that it should be thrown out rather than re-refrigerated. It sucks to waste milk but I feel better safe than sorry! I have stretched it to about 2 hours after heating but no longer than that. HTH!

I think that's the rule for formula, but I didn't think that you had to follow the same rules for BM.  I know my daycare followed the 1 hour rule, and I think it was because it's too confusing to use different rules for different bottles (since they have to keep up with both BM and formula). 

Oh, here's a link with more info: https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"