Austin Babies
Options

Sleep Troubles

I'm concerned that Will isn't getting enough total sleep. I've been adding it up and he's been averaging 11-12 hours...definitely not the 15-16 that I've read he needs! He's waking up a lot at night again, which wouldn't bother me except for the fact that it's really taking away from his sleep time.

He's VERY into talking to us right now...so the minute he wakes up, he wants to have a conversation. He finally went to sleep at 10:30 last night (bedtime routine started at 7:00) and then was up at 1:00 for an hour and a half, 3:30 for an hour, and 5:30 for an hour and a half, and 7:30 for the day. All those times he wants to play/talk...I don't play w/ him or talk to him, of course, but that doesn't stop him from babbling away to the ceiling. Naps have never been great, but on average are better than they are now. I can maybe get 3 30-minute naps from him, but that's pushing it. 

He's still in our room in the PnP...I tried to transition him to the crib when we moved in (2 weeks ago), but I couldn't handle it. I'm wondering if he's telling me he's ready. (insert sad Mommy face here!)

He seems tired - he yawns, rubs his eyes, falls asleep everytime we're in the car, and has been cranky for the past week. Any advice?

Re: Sleep Troubles

• Options

I know at that age, their schedule changes all the time. Have you tried changing his nap times?  Is he giving sleepy cues earlier and perhaps becoming over-tired?  Also - does he fully wake up from his nap after 30 minutes?  Or does he stir and make noise?  If he's just making noise, might be worth seeing if he'll go back to sleep. 

We always struggled with DD and her naps.  (Still do some too.)  I know that we had to work really hard to find the right times and routines that worked for her.  It's been a while, so I don't have much advice.  But hopefully others will!

• Options

I'd try moving him to his crib/room.  We moved DS about 3 weeks ago and I've been sleeping a lot better, as has he.  As soon as we moved him, he started waking only once at night (he sleeps from 7:30 or 8 until 3:30/4, and then wakes for good at 6/6:30AM).  I found that when he was sleeping in our room, I was more prone to going and getting him out of his Pnp whenever he'd make any kind of noise; and since I've moved him I've been sleeping through a lot of that and I just wake up to his little cries for the 3:30/4 am feeding. 

I'd try moving him to see if that will help.  Maybe he realizes how close to you he still is and so he's trying to get your attention.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAbrooks:

I know at that age, their schedule changes all the time. Have you tried changing his nap times?  Is he giving sleepy cues earlier and perhaps becoming over-tired?  Also - does he fully wake up from his nap after 30 minutes?  Or does he stir and make noise?  If he's just making noise, might be worth seeing if he'll go back to sleep.

He doesn't really have set nap times. He generally goes down in the morning, around lunchtime, and in the late afternoon. I go off of his cues (yawning, rubbing eyes, etc), but by the time I get him to sleep, he's definitely overtired.

I also have just recently (in the past two days) waited until he's full on crying to go in and get him from naps or at night. It takes a good 10 minutes for him to work himself up to that point, but he so far always has. He also cannot put himself to sleep and we've tried drowsy but awake since about 1 month...it does not work for him!

I was hoping not to hear that about the crib :( It feels like it's a million miles away! If it helps him sleep better though, I will do it.

• Options

imageMrsRosie:
    A has been in his crib since day 1, so I can't really identify with how that change would make me feel, but I can tell you that having the video monitor always makes me feel like he is a lot closer to me.  We have been without it for a week while we are waiting for our replacement monitor, and having the audio only makes him seem much farther away.

Yeah, we only have audio. I was having one of those moments where everything seemed so expensive and a video monitor seemed frivolous, so we went with the audio only. I am kicking myself now!

• Options
    I don't have any advice on the waking up at night. Luckily DD loves to sleep at night (just like her mommy). We don't actually have to put her to sleep, she falls asleep on her own.

I can relate on the nap thing. Over the past few weeks, she has stopped napping well. She won't go more than 30-45 minutes, even at daycare, where she used to take 3 naps that were at least an hour a piece.

I can also relate to the pnp vs crib thing. DD has never slept in her crib (for naps or at night). Her room is way on the other side of the house and it makes me sad to think about her being way over there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"