Georgia Babies

Did you kick your caffeine habit?

As with anything, there are mixed reviews of what you "should" or "shouldn't do" during pregnancy.  I was just curious to see what you ladies did about your caffeine habit (that is if you had one).  Did you cut down, or quit completely?  I've sort of been on an off.  There are just some mornings I need just one small cup of joe!

Re: Did you kick your caffeine habit?

• I was told everything in moderation. I use to be a Pepsi addict, but I have cut down tremendously. I will have a Pepsi or a sweet tea when I want one. I also still go to starbucks, just not everyday and i get the smallest size. So I did not quit, just cut back.
  • myrallmyrall member

I had a cup of coffee with cream every single day of my pregnancy. And on the days I didn't get coffee, I had a full-on Coke.

Everything in moderation, my dear. :)

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto pps.  Everything in moderation.  1 cup of coffee or a coke a day is not going to hurt your baby! :-)  I usually have some sort of caffeine, 3 or 4 times a week.  As my OB told me when I was pg with Benjamin - "I couldn't live without my sweet tea when I was pregnant" so if my OB couldn't live without it, there was no way I was going to live without it!  LOL. 
  • With my 1st pg I didn't have any caffeinated drinks in the 1st trimester...then tried to have only 1 or 2 a week after that. With my 2nd pregnancy I had 1 a day!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Didn't had coffee. But have tea. The caffeine on tea is not that high so it was all good.

• No, just really cut back. In the morning I'd have a cup of half-caf coffee. Then a coke later. I also invested in caffeie-free coke.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I was off caffine until the 2nd trimester headaches came. My doc told me to drink some caffine every day to help my headaches. I actually drank regular coke which is so weird b/c I never liked regular coke and now that I'm not pg can't think of drinking it. But it got me through the 2nd and 3rd tri. I'm of the belief of everything in moderation.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • KerrinKerrin member
    I kicked it since I knew I would be nursing and figured that it probably wasn't the best thing I could be giving to baby.  It's been 7 months since i quit nursing and i still avoid it.  I'll have the occassional Coke, but it's more like 2-3/month.  I drink decaf tea in the morning.  You just get used to it and i don't feel the need for it anymore.  I've been caf-free sicne i got pregnant in 2005 with Carter.
  • I cute way back and switched to decaf coffee...started with 1/2 caf only 1 cup a day.  I also had a thing for sweet tea so when I was on decaf, I would allow 1 sweet tea, no refills.  In the first trimester, I did drink coke for m/s, I bought the small cans and it really helped.  I really don't drink caffeine anymore other than occasional diet coke and iced tea when out, but if caf free is available its what i pick.  
  • everything i read was <200mg.  That's 1 cup of coffee or 3 sodas.  I quit completely b/c I only drank diet coke, and I have given up aspartame for good.

RIP diet coke.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • I don't drink caffeine often, but whenever I wanted a coke or an occasional cup of coffee, I drank it.  I LOVE sweet tea and drink it all the time, but when I fix it, I always fix decaf.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope, my Dr told me to continue my 1 cup of coffee a day.  She also told me when I had headaches to take 2 tylenol and another cup of coffee to kick it.  I thought I had kicked the habit in the hospital after he was born.  They only bring you decaff and I figured, what's the point?  With everything else my body was going through, I didn't even notice the withdrawals.  But after a couple weeks at home, I decided to try it and see if he minded it in my BM.  He didn't so I started having my morning cup again. 

• I was a caffeine addict before I found out I was pregnant with DD.  I drank atleast an 8 cup pot of coffee a day.  Obviously I couldn't just quit cold turkey but I started adding a little decaf coffee in with the regular.  I just kept adding more and more decaf and started cutting back on the # of cups.  By the time DD was born I was down to 1 cup of 1/2caf a day and still drink that.
  • I laid off almost entirely (1-2 Cokes a day habit pre-pregnancy) during the first trimester, but then after that I drank maybe one Coke (and no diet drinks for me!) every couple of days.  I think you're fine if you stay under 200mg a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Once I found out I was pregnant, I cut out caffeine all together.  I was told moderation was ok, but I thought it was just easier to not have it. Then once I was nursing, I just continued the no caffeine.  Even now DD is 18 months and very rarely have caffeine. If I do it's either sweet tea or occasionally coffee and it's only when I am out. I haven't had a coke or diet coke in forever! I just got used to it and really don't miss it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • not a coffee drinker so that wasn't a problem for me. but i drink more sodas now then i ever have thank you indigestion. I just follow the 200 mg a day rule and only drink them when I need too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"