North Carolina Babies

Terrible accident at our house last night

Savanna attacked Eli.  It was terrible.  I was in the bathroom and had the door shut.  DH, Eli and Savanna were all in the bedroom playing.  Eli was trying to get the bathroom door open and Savanna went up and sat down behind him.  Apparently he didn't like that, so he tried to push her out of the way.  Before DH could stop him she had him on the floor biting at him.  She tore up the back of his head and shoulders.  And of course I'm in the bathroom freaking out.  So we took him to the ER because he was bleeding really badly.  Thankfully there are only 2 puncture wounds on his head, and his back is just really scratched up and bruised.  He didn't need stitches, and they didn't have to shave his head (which you know I was so relieved). 

Unfortunately this means we can't have Savanna anymore.  If you remember, she got after him one time before, but didn't hurt him.  So we have been really careful to not let him bother her, and make sure they each respect each other.  Things have been going really well and she hadn't shown any signs of aggression.  But there was absolutely no warning last night, and DH was sitting right there with them.  The amount of damage she did in just those 2 seconds is terrifying.  We just can't have her in the house anymore, and I will not keep her outside or caged up all the time, that would be a miserable life for her.  She is just too agressive to have around kids.  So we have to decide what to do.  I was sick to my stomach last night just thinking about it.  I don't think we can re-home her, because I just can't take the chance that she'll hurt another child, and even childless people have kids in their house sometimes.  And I'm also afraid she'll be abused, because she is so hard headed and aggressive.  The only two options are if someone we know is willing to take her in, or have her put down. 

DH's parents might take her, and just keep her outside or caged when Eli is over.  And my grandmother might take her, and again keep her up if kids are over.  Hopefully one of those will come through, because I really don't like our other option.  But Eli is doing ok, he's just pretty beat up.  He's on antibiotics and Motrin.  And he can't go swimming for 2 weeks!  We're going to the beach this weekend, so hopefully they'll ok some ocean playing.  I have to take him back in to the pedi tomorrow to make sure it's healing ok.  And he's not afraid of Savanna, which was another one of my concerns. 

We took pics, but I won't post them.  And we'll be getting a call from animal control, but since she's current on her shots we don't have to quarantine her or anything.  Other than that just treating Eli's wounds and trying to find a solution for the dog.  My heart is so broken.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Terrible accident at our house last night

• Wow!  I'm so sorry to hear that she attacked Eli.  That is scary I'm sure and I do remember you had issues with him before.

On the same token I'm sorry you have to get rid of her but I would do the same thing as hard as it would be for us to get rid of Tonka.

Hugs to you guys and Eli!  I'm sorry.

• Oh Mikey - I am SO sorry to hear this.  This is one of my fears with McGraw and Alex...although McGraw has never shown agression, but you just never know.

I would also try to network through your vet - they may know someone who would take Savannah for you.  My MIL works at a vet and they do this for people who have pets they can no longer take care of.

Im SO glad Eli is ok. 

• Loading the player...
  • Oh no! I am so sorry! I hope you can work out something for Savanna. I've been in a similar situation (though a child wasn't involved)--but with having to consider putting a dog down--and it's not fun. :-(

Our English bulldog (who passed away in Jan '08) playfully, but aggressively bit my MIL and our mailman (real original, dog! hehe). Both broke the skin and were sent to the hospital. We got the fun visit from animal control, and even though he was up to date on shots, we did have to quarantine him (just in our home). So, it might be something you have to deal with (though I'm sure every town's restrictions vary).

I'm sorry you're dealing with this... :-( 

*hugs*

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Oh no!  That sounds incredibly scary.  So sorry you are faced with this decision.  I hope it works out for your DH's parents or your grandma to take her.  What kind of dog is she?  I was just wondering if there might be a breed rescue that would take her, though I'm not sure if they would with her history.

Glad Eli is okay - poor little guy!  Liam got bit by one of our cats this weekend (not at all the same - didn't even break the skin) but he still isn't the least bit afraid of the cat either - and I wish he would be a little, might save him from future attacks!

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Omg how scary!  Glad Eli is o.k. and good luck figuring something out for Savannah :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Oh no, how scarey!  I'm so glad Eli is ok.  I hope someone is able to take Savannah.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That must have been so scary! I'm glad Eli is OK, but hate that you're having to make that decision about Savannah. It must be hard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecrescentmoon99:

Oh no!  That sounds incredibly scary.  So sorry you are faced with this decision.  I hope it works out for your DH's parents or your grandma to take her.  What kind of dog is she?  I was just wondering if there might be a breed rescue that would take her, though I'm not sure if they would with her history.

I'm glad the cat didn't hurt Liam!

She's a mix, so I doubt any rescue would take her.  We might have a 3rd option too, with one of DH's friends.  Hopefully one of these works out.

• Oh Mikey, I am so sorry that happened. I can't imagine how scary that was. I'm so glad Eli is ok! I'm sorry you're faced with some tough decisions about Savannah, but I definitely understand how you can't have her in the house with Eli anymore. Hugs!
  • Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. I'm glad Eli is okay. Dogs scare me so much, I hate to say. Sophie loves them but I just don't know if I can ever bring myself to get one. I think you made the right choice not to keep her in the house any more.
  • Oh A! Im so sorry!!!! I now how you love her more than anything and hoped the what happened was just a one time incident.

Im glad he is okay for the most part and that nothing more serious did happen. Hugs honey.....I know this cant be easy and I hope your MIL can take her.

• I'm so sorry to hear that mikey!! thats so horrible to have to make that decision, and I really hope your grandma or IL's can take Savanna so then ucan still get to see her at times. I'm sorry Eli got hurt, but i'm glad it wasn't anyworse then it is. I hope it heels quickly.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry for this situation! I'm glad Eli is okay and I hope he heals quickly. Good luck figuring out a solution for Savanna.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry Mikey! So glad Eli is ok and it wasn't any worse. I know how scary it is...remember our dog attacked and bit Brooks. While it's tough for you, you are making the right decisions.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• What a scary situation and I'm sorry that you are having to make this tough decision, but it sounds like you know what you have to do. Thank goodness your son is okay. Hang in there.
  • Wow Mikey.  I'm so sorry!  I'm so relieved that Eli is ok but sorry for the tough decision that you are having to make.  Big Hugs to you and your family!
    image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • I hate to hear that. ?I can imagine it was incredibly scary. ?I hope you find someone to keep her and it all works out.
  • so sorry to hear that. that's one of my worst nightmares with dogs, thankfully we've been lucky so far.

i hope one of the situations works out, i know how much hurt it would be to put down a beloved family member.

• I am so sorry Mikey, I know this must be very hard to be dealing with. Thank God Eli is alright!

I also fear this b/c Ashley loves all dogs and does not realize that all dogs are as gentle as our dog, so she runs up to every dog she sees, I have to keep an constant eye on her (she puts her face right up to them). I hope one of your family members is able to take her. Best of luck!

• I'm so so sorry this happened.  I was so afraid of this happening with Bella and Nora.  You just never know with animals.  Prayers for you that you find peace with whatever you guys decide to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"