Georgia Babies
Options

Le Sigh...MIL

So, I was explaining to MIL the concept of collecting unwrapped toys at Polly's birthday to donate to those in need and she was totally offended.  She thought I was going to donate her present to Polly (and any other gift we received for Polly) and then write it off on our taxes.  Wildness, I tell you.  If anyone does bring a gift for Polly, it will be given to Polly at another time bc we don't want to focus on presents at the party.  If people bring an unwrapped toy or can of formula, it will be donated.  I never even thought of the writing it off on taxes part.  I made a card for the invitation that clearly states in lieu of presents, Polly is collecting UNWRAPPED toys and formula for the local women's and children's shelter.   DH and I feel like kids who are going through a lot in hard times should be able to get a new gift for their birthday at the very least and what better way to celebrate our child than to give back.  I guess I will make a giant box and CLEARLY label it.  Am I doing something wrong here?

Re: Le Sigh...MIL

• Options
    This is a lovely idea Martha. ? ? ?Good luck with the MIL. ? No advice there.?
  • Options

imageMLvK:
    This is a lovely idea Martha. Good luck with the MIL. No advice there.

Unfortunately there IS no advice on MIL.  She is just batty sometimes.  It comes from 24 hrs of TV nonstop.  At least she can only watch soaps 3 hrs a day so the drama poison is rationed.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that is a great idea!  I'm sorry your MIL can't see that, though.  For some people, the gift they give is more about them than the recipient :(

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    No advice either, Martha.  I think you're taking the right approach.  As you know, we opted not to open gifts at Merritt's party.  Mostly because I wanted to write thank you notes and it would have been impossible to keep track of who gave what if we opened them at the party.  Stick by your guns!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageebearwife:

Unfortunately there IS no advice on MIL.? She is just batty sometimes.? It comes from 24 hrs of TV nonstop.? At least she can only watch soaps 3 hrs a day so the drama poison is rationed.
    ?

My MIL watches no TV. ?What's her excuse? ??

• Options
    I think this is a wonderful idea and a lovely gesture!  Just ignore your MIL she cannot be reasoned with so just explain that the gift she gives Polly will go to Polly and leave it at that.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMLvK:
    imageebearwife:

Unfortunately there IS no advice on MIL. She is just batty sometimes. It comes from 24 hrs of TV nonstop. At least she can only watch soaps 3 hrs a day so the drama poison is rationed.

My MIL watches no TV. What's her excuse?

LOL Michelle.  I wish I knew.  She def needs to watch something on TV telling her that "sexy" is not a word to describe babies.  Maybe some Law and Order SVU DVDs for Christmas might be in order? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"