High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD - Just diagnosed

I was just diagnosed with GD.  I have only spoken with the nurse and not my doctor regarding my plan of action.  Can you give me any insight as to what to expect?  I did not have GD with my first child so this is all new to me.  Thanks for your help!

Re: GD - Just diagnosed

• Options
    Your Dr. will put you on a diet. You are also going to be checking your blood. Most people check 4x a day. This has been a great board. Ladies here are wonderful very supportive and very helpful. GL
  • Options
    lujainlujain member

You will get a glucosemeter and check your blood sugars 4 times a day.  Once right when you get up in the morning, and either 1 or 2 hours after each meal.

You will probably eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.  You will need to limit your carb intake, including fruit, and you need to eat a protein every time you eat a carb.  No sweets or juices.  

If you can walk before or after you eat, that will help keep your blood sugars down.

If your glucose numbers are not controlled by diet and exercise, you will probably get put on drugs, either insulin (shots) or glyburide (a pill).

You may go see your OB more often.  I started going every 2 weeks when I was diagnosed instead of every month.

You may get more ultrasounds and NSTs.  I get an u/s at 37 weeks to check on Kiddo's size.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto the previous posters.  This has been a great resource for me.

Sara ;)

Proud Mommy to Elliott 7.24.07 & Oliver 9.1.09 Our Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You will probably go to a diabetes education class very soon to learn all about how and what to eat and how to test your sugars.  I noticed that you are in cincy.  Me too!  What hospital are you going to deliver at?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageLogansmommie:
    You will probably go to a diabetes education class very soon to learn all about how and what to eat and how to test your sugars.  I noticed that you are in cincy.  Me too!  What hospital are you going to deliver at?

I am delivering at Christ Hospital.  How about you?

• Options
    I am at Mercy Fairfield.  I had a friend who delivered at Christ and was very happy! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"