Multiples

Perinatologist?

My current doctor is in family practice and is one of 4 doc's who deal with maternity and delivery at her office and she does have experience with twins. ?and I felt very comfortable with her until we found out it was twins. ?I was already feeling like I needed a new doc, an OB who has experience with twins. ?We literally have one perinatologist in the are that we live in, and I will actually be at their office this week for my NT scan. ?When I scheduled the scan I asked if they were taking new patients and they said only be referral. ?Is that common? ?Do you have a perinatologist? ?Or do you have an OB? ?I have found an OB and made an appt. for next week and will be telling the doc who is covering for my doc that I want to switch (my doc is out of the country). ?Curious what you did and who you see and do you think it's necessary to go to a perinatologist or stay with an OB. ?I am assuming that no one stayed with a GP? ?TIA

Re: Perinatologist?

• My OB is not a peri. She is just a regular OB who delivers at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU. She was in a practice with a RE for a long time and has multiples experience. I am totally comfortable with her.

EDIT: She sends me to the high risk unit of our hospital for ultrasounds/AFI/NSTs. I do not get the same care as a regular singleton pregnancy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am seeing both my OB and an MFM.  The OB refferred me to the MFM based on twins being considered 'high risk'.  Actually, each time I've gone to the office the actual dr. has changed.  While my OB has experience delivering twins, the MFM's office offers better ultrasound technology, etc. 

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you. ?This is helpful. ?I am going to my regular Dr tomorrow and telling them that I am going to switch to an OB and also ask for a referral for the perinatologist in town. ?I am hoping I will receive better care that way. ?If the perinatologist will see me exclusively than great and if not they can do a combo approach. ?The hospital I will deliver at is a level III, I did research that. ?I was just quite surprised to find out that there was only one perinatologist in our area. ?
  • I got lucky and when we went to the peri for our NT scan, he requested to continue seeing us.

Had he not done this, I would have requested a referral from my OB. He has 'experience' with twins, but the level of monitoring is just so much more with the peri.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I see a midwife and a peri who at this point is ultrasounding us once a month. The midwife has experience with twins. And if anything starts going south the peri will catch it. The midwife says she automatically sends her twins to a peri as well.

I'm not sure where I'm delivering. I have my choice of 2 hospitals. One has the Level 3 NICU which obviously we will use if there are any suspected problems or they come early. The other is more of a birth center inside a hospital. They have the labor tubs that I desperately want. I'll have to deliver in the c-section room either way but I'd rather be comfortable if the little guys seem to be doing well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't see a peri until I was admitted to the hospital and put on bedrest for PTL during the 26th week.  Everything was "normal" up until that point - I was just seeing my OB more frequently than someone with a singleton pregnancy.  He is part of a large practice that deals with twins on a regular basis.

I don't think that going to a peri sooner would've made any difference in my own situation, but I know that some people are more comfortable with regularly seeing someone who is more used to high risk pregnancies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"