Two Under 2
Options

Good book to explain new baby to DC#1?

Hi girls - I'm looking for a good book to read to DS#1 to explain about DS#2 being on the way. DS#1 is 16 months now - will be almost 19 months when the baby comes, so I'm looking for something simple with pictures. He's a smart kid but the ones I've seen so far seem like they're geared for a 3 year old.

Any recommendations? TIA

Re: Good book to explain new baby to DC#1?

• Options

I've been looking for something too, and I agree they are all geared towards older kids. I did find this one (but I haven't bought it yet) that seems to be geared toward younger ones. It doesn't have any words though, just pictures & I guess you make up a story to go along with it.

https://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp/0859539741/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246305050&sr=8-10

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lol i really dont want to burst your bubble, but your dc is still not going to "understand" until the baby gets here. think about things for AFTER the baby comes instead of before.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepunkfiction:
    lol i really dont want to burst your bubble, but your dc is still not going to "understand" until the baby gets here. think about things for AFTER the baby comes instead of before.

LOL. I know, I know... I suppose it's more comforting to me than it will be to my DS. I would just feel better if I at least tried. DS is a very verbal kid (he says over 50 words already) and I've seen him apply concepts from some of his simple board books to other things (for example he has one about opposites and he LOVES to make his toys go up and down, open and closed, in and out). So it's worth at least trying, I figure.

But don't worry, I'm bracing myself for all-out WTF chaos when I get home with the new baby! No delusions here.

• Options
    imagenylagirl:

imagepunkfiction:

LOL. I know, I know... I suppose it's more comforting to me than it will be to my DS. I would just feel better if I at least tried. DS is a very verbal kid (he says over 50 words already) and I've seen him apply concepts from some of his simple board books to other things (for example he has one about opposites and he LOVES to make his toys go up and down, open and closed, in and out). So it's worth at least trying, I figure.

But don't worry, I'm bracing myself for all-out WTF chaos when I get home with the new baby! No delusions here.

I agree with the PP. At 19 months he really won't grasp the whole concept.

I've done 2u2 twice now. When DD#2 was born, DD#1 really didn't speak at all - she maybe had 15-20 words (she was 18 months). I did read her a Big Sister book (can't remember which one), but it was geared toward older kids (who were potty trained). I didn't really prepare her though and it worked out fine.

When DS was born, DD#2 was speaking in full-on sentences (19 months). At 16 months, she was putting 3-4 word sentences together, and she still didn't get the whole baby concept. I didn't prep her either and it worked out fine.

My point, is that it all works out for the 2u2! GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"