Two Under 2
Options

Bed vs crib

When did everyone switch their first LO to a "big" bed?  I don't know if we'll need a second crib or if we can switch DD to a toddler bed and use the crib for the baby.

Re: Bed vs crib

• Options
    i was just thinking this same thing.  baby will be in bassinet for 3 mos so DD will then be 20 mos.  i wonder if she'll be ready for a big bed while baby goes into her crib...  look forward to hearing responses.
  • Options

My daughter easily moved to the big girl bed on her 2nd birthday.  She was really excited for it. 

My son slept in the pack n play in our room until he was 11mo.  And so, if this next baby does the same, my son will be way over 2 by the time we need the crib for the baby, so we're not buying a second. 

Erin & Rick - 9/30/06
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Depends on the kid. My friends that have switched their kids into beds before the age of 2 (because they didn't want to buy a 2nd crib) have regretted it. Their toddler would get up, play, and not want to go to sleep. I have read that others on these boards had success with the transition.

We bought a 2nd crib - DD#1 and DD#2 are 18 months apart, and I didn't want to have to deal with 2 non-sleepers at the time.

DD#1 was READY for a bed at age 2 when she catapulted out of her crib. It's the ONLY reason that I moved her.

DD#2 is now 2, and I do NOT want her out of her crib. She hasn't tried to climb out, so I'm leaving her in there. 

We are using DD#1's furniture for DS (he and DD#2 are 19 months apart) - DD#1 got a "big girl bed" when he was born.

HTH - GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

I was thinking it would depend on the kid.  We did keep DD in her p-n-p bassenet for the first 3 mths so that does buy us a little more time if we do the same this go around.  Also, her crib is a convertible so it wouldn't be a complete loss if we need to get a second crib.  I have many mths before a decision has to be made.

Thanks for the input Smile

• Options
    We are getting a 2nd crib. DS is in a convertible one right now. I am getting a friends crib that they dont need anymore since they are transitioning their 2 year old to a toddler bed now. DD will be in a pnp in our room for probably about 6 months. But she will still need a crib in the other room. I just think the pnp cant be very comfortable as they get older and start to move around more. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

?My philosophy is to keep them in a crib until they try to climb out.

The $$ for a second crib was well worth the investment.

Knowing EXACTLY where the toddler was and that he was safe and contained while I tended to the baby in his words was worth it's weight in gold.

I couldn't fathom trying to nurse the baby in his room and wondering if my 2 year old was roaming the house unattended.?

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    My daughter rejected her crib on her own at 16 months.  We were away for 10 days at Christmas and she slept either with us or in a sleeping bag on the floor (having rejected the pnp around her first birthday) and when we got back she would not get in the crib for anything.  Anytime we went near it she screamed.  Finally after a few days I decided to see transforming the crib to a toddler bed and she happily went back into her bed and has been great about it ever since.  She let me know she was ready and there was no option if any of us wanted sleep!  We moved to a new apartment a few weeks ago and when we did we disassembled the crib and put her in a twin bed and she loves her big girl bed.  We'll set up the crib soon and I'm hoping it's been long enough that she won't remember it was hers (since the girls will be sharing a room) or at least she'll be so happy in her big girl bed she'll be happy to give her baby sister the crib!  I hadn't intended to take her out of the crib so early, but am really thankful that I won't need to buy a second crib.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From what I have read on sleeping mistakes parents make, one of the main mistakes is transitioning to toddlers/full size bed too early.  Most recommend waiting until 2.5 or 3 years old.  Before this time it is hard for a toddler understand the imaginary boundries of a bed.  With that said, some transition earlier without a problem.  I plan to keep DD in her crib as long as she does not climb out or until about 3 yrs.  I will be getting a crib for #2 and both are lifetime cribs.
  • Options
    dd1 is still in a crib. do NOT fix whats not broken. dd1 could easily climb out but she has a crib tent. its her domain and she adores it.
  • Options
    DS slept in a crib until he was 3.  I was going to get a second crib for DD#2 but decided to wait since she would be sleeping in a bassinet in our room at first anyway.  It just so happened that DD1 figured out how to climb out of the crib just a month after the baby came home.  So we got her a toddler bed when she was about 21 months and the baby got her crib (when she finally moved out of our room).  It was not an ideal situation, because of the timing mainly, but it worked out. 
  • Options
    After much thought and going back and forth and back and forth, we decided to buy another convertible crib.  Our Pedi said keep in the crib for as long as possible b/c they will get out of bed.  Then I talked to a few few friends with 2+ year olds and both of them were having major major issues with their DD's getting out of their toddler beds and winding up with them in their bed constantly.  I cannot deal with that with a newborn, so that was the final straw in us deciding to buy another convertible.  She loves her crib and has never tried to climb out and if she does, then we can convert to the toddler.  I'm also of the opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

I think it depends on the kid. If I would do it over, I would have bought a second crib. My two are 18 months apart and we moved DS into a toddler bed at 16 months. He plays all over the room and does not like to stay in bed. I often find him sleeping in other parts of his room. (We have a baby gate in his door way so that he cannot get out of his room). He stays in a crib at my parents' and he doesn't climb out of that yet.

But I have friends who had to move their child out of the crib at 18 months because he was crawling out.

If I would have done it again, I would have bought another convertible crib, so I could leave #1 in a crib until he started crawling out and then changed it into a toddler bed.

Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"